1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting Pythagorean triples in a polar form

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    There are plenty of interesting plots that use various ways to plot the integer occurrences of a^2 + b^2 = c^2 such as making ordered pairs (a,b) and doing that for all such that a^2 + b^2 < [a really big number] and very interesting patterns are noted. My thought is plotting a polar analog. Consider the legs of a right triangle a and b, use tangent to find the angle theta that is opposite of b, then knowing the value for c (because it is a pythagorean triple) plot it in polar form (theta, radius) where theta is can be easily found and the radius is c.

I am new to mathematica, and am trying to get it to work with little success yet. I will continue to try. I am posting it if anyone else wants to take a crack at it. Sorry for any lack of clarity in my explanation above; I am in a hurry want to post this before I leave. Thoughts, advice, criticism, all are welcome!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2
    Hi, tdswenson,
    from your description it sounds like you'll get exactly the same graph as when plotting in cartesian coordinates with x=a and y=b.

Maybe your intention is to plot again in cartesian coordinates, but with x=c and y=angle. Note that you might need to scale up Y in order to see something, as your maximum c increases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?