Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting the position of a pendulum

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know where I could find some information about solving a pendulum position. What I mean is a swinging pendulum and the position. The position would be the spot on the ground that a sun directly above would cast. I don't really know where to start other then the pythagorean theorum, Ke and Pe equations. Any help would be great. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The simple pendulum satisfies the differential equation [itex]d^2\theta/dt^2[/itex]= -(g/l) sin(\theta)[/itex] where g is the acceleration due to gravity, l is the length of the pendulum, t is the time, and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the pendulum makes with the vertical. Assuming the sun is directly overhead the shadow of the pendulm bob will be the horizontal coordinate, [itex]l cos(\theta)[/itex].

That is an extremely difficult equation to solve but for small angles, [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is approximately equal to [itex]\theta[/itex] so the equation can be approximated by [itex]d^2\theta/dt^2= -(g/l)\theta[/itex] which has general solution
    [tex]\theta(t)= C cos(\sqrt{g/l} t)+ D sin(\sqrt{g/l} t)[/tex].

Determine C and D by the intitial value of [itex]\theta[/itex] and the angular velocity.

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3
    thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?