Point charge inside insulated thin cone

In summary, the problem at hand involves a point charge inside a thin, uncharged and insulated metal cone. The relevant equation for solving this problem is the Poisson equation, with the cone surface having Neumann boundary conditions. To solve this, the Green function with Neumann boundary conditions for the cone surface needs to be calculated. This requires knowledge of the dimensions of the cone, specifically the ratio of radius to height, but the overall approach to solving the problem involves using cylindrical coordinates and possibly incorporating Bessel functions.
jozegorisek
My problem is the following:There is a point charge inside a thin uncharged and insulated metal cone. Calculate the charge distribution on the cone and the force between the point charge and the cone.
I presume "thin cone" means only the infinitely narrow
surface of a cone.The relevant equation is the Poisson equation[tex]\nabla^2 U = \delta(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r_0})[/tex]
Since the cone surface is insulated and not grounded, I presume that the boundary conditions on the cone surface are of the Neumann type, that is
[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial \mathbf{\hat{n}}} = \mathbf{E} = 0[/tex]

I apologize for possibly trivial questions, the thing is quite some time has passed since I last studied electrostatics therefore I am very rusty in this subject. So I just want to clear a few things up.
I have studied Jackson's Classical electrodynamics a bit, to try find a way towards a solution, but I am a bit lost at this point.

Had the problem been something without the point charge it would be no problem. It would mean solving the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates and the result would probably be something like a sum of sine/cosine*bessel function terms.

Since there is a point charge inside the cone surface I understand that I am searching for the Green function with Neumann boundary conditions for the cone surface. This is something I have never dealt with before and I am grateful for any direction/advice you can give me. I only want to know if I am thinking in the right direction and how I should approach this.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a little hard to solve without knowing anything about the dimensions of the cone like the r to h ratio

It's a theoretical problem so the choice of [tex]\frac{r}{h}[/tex] is arbitrary. I'm not looking for a complete solution of the problem, just for some insight how to approach the problem. How do you calculate the Green function for this kind of boundary geometry and conditions?

1. What is a point charge inside an insulated thin cone?

A point charge inside an insulated thin cone refers to a situation in which a single electric charge is located at the apex of a cone-shaped object that is surrounded by an insulating material. This setup is commonly used in physics experiments and theoretical models to study the effects of electric fields on charged particles.

2. How does the electric field change inside an insulated thin cone?

The electric field inside an insulated thin cone is not uniform, meaning it varies in strength and direction at different points within the cone. The field lines are closer together near the apex of the cone and become more spread out towards the base, indicating a stronger electric field near the apex and a weaker field towards the base.

3. Can the electric field inside an insulated thin cone be calculated?

Yes, the electric field inside an insulated thin cone can be calculated using the formula E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to any point inside the cone. However, the calculations may be more complex for non-uniform cones or cones with varying charge distributions.

4. How does the presence of the insulated thin cone affect the electric field outside of the cone?

The presence of the insulated thin cone will not affect the electric field outside of the cone, as the insulating material does not allow the electric field to pass through. The electric field outside the cone will follow the same pattern as that of a point charge, with field lines radiating outward from the cone's apex.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying point charges inside insulated thin cones?

One real-world application of studying point charges inside insulated thin cones is in the field of electrostatics, where this setup is used to model and understand the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. Additionally, this setup can also be used in experiments to study the forces and interactions between charged particles, as well as in the development of electronic devices and equipment.