Point charges and their movement in 3 space

In summary: This magnetic field exerts a force on the other charge which adds to the electrostatic force. In summary, the question is asking for the ratio of the magnetic and electrostatic force on two equal charges when they are moving with a velocity. The electrostatic force is given by the equation kq^2/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge and r is the distance between the charges. The magnetic force is completely different and is given by the equation F = qvB, where q is the charge, v is the velocity and B is the magnetic field. The ratio of the magnitudes of these two forces can be found by dividing the magnetic force by the electrostatic force.
Ic3Blu3
Hey all this question appeared on my last assignment that was due on friday and had me completely stumped for the entire week and well still does, i couldn't even get off the ground (im not very good with these algebra questions) . anyway in the interests to doing my very best on my midterm exam I've come here in search of help.

Homework Statement

Two equal charges q located at (0,0,0) and (0,b,0) at time zero are moving with speed v in the positive direction (v<<c). Find the ratio of the magnitudes of the magnetic and electrostatic force on each.

any help with this question would be much appreciated a starting point or a walk through of how to obtain the final result because i can't find anything on this in tipler. thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
i think I've made some progress but i know that the magnitude of the electrostatic force is
7a85faff067d0e0bb170bf933919881e.png
but how is this equation altered when a velocity is applied to it ?

well for the purposes of this question, the velocity since it is the same does not enter the equation you have posted.

Magnetic force completely different. Particles at rest, no magnetic interaction. so can you post an eqn or two that is concerned with magnetic fields, forces.

When the charges are at rest, the only force between them is the electrostatic force. But when the charges move with a velocity then a magnetic field is produced around them.

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical, idealized particle that has a finite electric charge but has no physical dimensions or size. It is often used in physics and engineering to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.

2. How do point charges move in 3-dimensional space?

Point charges move in 3-dimensional space according to the laws of electromagnetism. They are affected by electric and magnetic fields, and their movement can be described using equations such as Coulomb's law and the Lorentz force law.

3. Can point charges have a negative electric charge?

Yes, point charges can have either a positive or negative electric charge, depending on the type of particle. Electrons, for example, have a negative charge while protons have a positive charge.

4. How do point charges interact with each other?

Point charges interact with each other through the electric force, which can either attract or repel depending on the charges of the particles. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

5. What is the significance of understanding point charges and their movement in 3 space?

Understanding point charges and their movement in 3-dimensional space is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and chemistry. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of charged particles and design devices such as motors, generators, and electronic circuits.