Point Mass and Extended Objects

• Thread starter visionofdanish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Point
In summary, a point mass object is described solely by its position in space, while an extended object has a definite, finite size and shape and is described by the position of its center of mass and its orientation. The difference lies in the number of degrees of freedom each object has in its configuration.
visionofdanish
I'm afraid that I do not quite understand the difference between a point mass object and an extended object. The only definition that I have is that an extended object has a definite, finite size and shape. That doesn't tell me very much...

If someone could please tell me the difference between these two objects, I would greatly appreciate it. ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
The configuration of
a point particle is described by its position in space...
a rigid extended object is described by the position of its center of mass and its orientation.

Think "degrees of freedom".

Last edited:
ah, I get it now. Thank you.

1. What is a point mass?

A point mass is a theoretical object in physics that has mass but no physical size or dimensions. It is often used to simplify calculations in systems where the size of the object is not relevant.

2. How is the mass of a point mass calculated?

The mass of a point mass is calculated by dividing the force acting on it by its acceleration. This formula is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion: F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What is an extended object?

An extended object is a physical object that has size and dimensions, unlike a point mass. It can be any object with measurable length, width, and height, such as a book, a car, or a planet.

4. How is the mass of an extended object calculated?

The mass of an extended object is calculated by adding the masses of all its individual point masses. This is because an extended object can be thought of as a collection of many point masses, each with their own mass and location.

5. How do point masses and extended objects differ in terms of their mass?

The main difference between point masses and extended objects is that point masses have a single, concentrated mass located at a specific point, while extended objects have their mass distributed throughout their physical dimensions. This means that point masses have a fixed mass, while the mass of an extended object can vary depending on the distribution of its mass.