Inertia of a rolling dumbell

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
yunica
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
How does the distance by which two plates are placed from a dumbell's center affect inertia
Hi guys,
I was just wondering this question: say I have a dumbell which is two plates of equal mass placed on a rod, then is the moment of inertia for this object affected when the distance the plates are placed from the center "R" changes?

I've attached an image to illustrate me point
1748650947950.webp


Thanks guys
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
yunica said:
... is the moment of inertia for this object affected when the distance the plates are placed from the center "R" changes?
No.
If the mass of the bar is constant, and it rolls in a straight line, then the separation of the weights will not determine the inertia.