Points of contact and contaminations

In summary: AWWWww.@jake jot what is your issue? Are you germaphobic or something? People don't normally worry about what you seem...
jake jot
My small blanket fell into the floor with a dry floor mat on it. I'd like to know what kind of contamination can occur here. That is, do only the dusts in the dry floor mat transfer to the blanket? Can the dusts be removed just by moving the blanket fast up and down? Or could there be bacterial contaminations right away? Can anyone show an engineering simulation of such material transfer of contamination? They say many surfaces have germs. What kinds of germs?

I'm deciding whether to wash it again but it takes time to wash it and is it not repeated washing can make the cotton thinner.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jake jot said:
I'm deciding whether to wash it again
And you're asking people on the Internet? Why not just wash it for the sake of caution?

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
And you're asking people on the Internet? Why not just wash it for the sake of caution?

I'll put it in washing machine again to rinse and dry (it takes time). This is for future reference in case similar scenario occurs in the future where a shirt, towel, etc. fall down in your bedroom. I want to know how dusts, germs got transferred between the materials.

There is really no need to wash it again.
If it is dry, take it outside and shake it a couple of times, or hang it in the wind.
For other things, a few hours of sunlight can also be a great clenser.

Baluncore said:
There is really no need to wash it again.
If it is dry, take it outside and shake it a couple of times, or hang it in the wind.
For other things, a few hours of sunlight can also be a great clenser.

In a normal bedroom. What kinds of germs are present in the floor at all times? Bacterial? Virus? Fungal? What do the germs eat? And isn't it there are also germs in the skin? How does this compared to the germs on the floor.

jake jot said:
In a normal bedroom. What kinds of germs are present in the floor at all times?
The germs come from you, from your skin and from what you breath out.
If the surface is dry then they will not grow or survive.
If you vacuum the floor and shake any rugs outside there will be no problem.

Do you have any pet animals such as a bird, a cat or a dog in the room?

Baluncore said:
Do you have any pet animals such as a bird, a cat or a dog in the room?
And do you wear your outside shoes inside your house? If you walk through the grass and dirt outside and then walk through your house with your shoes on, you floor is potentially contaminated with whatever was outside on the ground. If you would like to minimize the chance of carring stuff from outside your house to inside, make it a habit to leave your shoes in a confined area inside your front door. :smile:

berkeman said:
And do you wear your outside shoes inside your house? If you walk through the grass and dirt outside and then walk through your house with your shoes on, you floor is potentially contaminated with whatever was outside on the ground. If you would like to minimize the chance of carring stuff from outside your house to inside, make it a habit to leave your shoes in a confined area inside your front door. :smile:

There is no bird, no dog and no cat in the house but I used the same shoes outside and inside.

I just washed it using 1 rinse cycle and spin dry in the machine washing. I didn't put detergent. I wonder if the contaminant from falling into the floor mat has disappeared or still present.

In a fabric or cotton shirt or blanket, what caused the fabric to get thinner, is it not detergent?

jake jot said:
In a fabric or cotton shirt or blanket, what caused the fabric to get thinner, is it not detergent?
It doesn't get thinner. It just seems like that because of our growing pandemic bodies... :wink:

berkeman said:
It doesn't get thinner. It just seems like that because of our growing pandemic bodies... :wink:

If you wear a shirt a hundred times or a thousand times. It becomes thinner. Maybe 0.01% of the cotton is lost every washing? In my washing machine, the normal cycle is 1 Wash, 2 Rinse, and 4 Spin Dry. It is in Wash cycle that you put detergent. I wonder if detergent can accelerate the thinner causing it to lose 0.05% instead of 0.01%? Any material physicist can elaborate on this?

So you're saying that my joke was not funny. Okayy...

berkeman said:
So you're saying that my joke was not funny. Okayy...
AWWWww.

@jake jot what is your issue? Are you germaphobic or something? People don't normally worry about what you seem to be worrying about.

phinds said:
Are you germaphobic or something? People don't normally worry about what you seem to be worrying about.
Well, to be fair that is one of the reasons we leave our shoes at the door of our house. Before I became a Medic I didn't even think about it, but once you start paying attention, you walk through all kinds of s*** in a normal day. If that gets transferred to your cutting boards in your kitchen or other places close to your GI tract, that can lead to some unpleasent episodes...

berkeman said:
Well, to be fair that is one of the reasons we leave our shoes at the door of our house. Before I became a Medic I didn't even think about it, but once you start paying attention, you walk through all kinds of s*** in a normal day. If that gets transferred to your cutting boards in your kitchen or other places close to your GI tract, that can lead to some unpleasent episodes...
Well, based on that I should probably be dead several times over.

No, you and I ate dirt as kids. We have little to worry about from dirty feet. Just trying to protect the next generation...

berkeman said:
No, you and I ate dirt as kids. We have little to worry about from dirty feet. Just trying to protect the next generation...
Ah. Yeah, you're right about that. They are mostly overprotected.

jake jot said:
It is almost all mechanical abrasion (rubbing on things, like your skin).

Maybe you have some old shirts that you have worn a lot. Look at the collar and the cuffs on long sleeves. You will see the collar worn thin at the fold where it rubs against your neck. The cuffs are worn thinner at the end, where they rub on your hand or arm, or on things you pick up.

The same with carpets (floor covering); they wear in the places they are used the most, like at a doorway, or where you walk around a corner and turn one foot a little bit.

Yes, washing does wear fabric a little bit, but not much. The water is a good lubricant.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What are points of contact and contaminations?

Points of contact and contaminations refer to the places or objects where germs or bacteria can be transmitted from one person to another. These can include door handles, countertops, and shared items such as pens or phones.

2. How do points of contact and contaminations affect our health?

Points of contact and contaminations can lead to the spread of illnesses and diseases. When we come into contact with these surfaces or objects, we can pick up germs and bacteria which can then enter our bodies and make us sick.

3. What are some common ways to prevent points of contact and contaminations?

Some common ways to prevent points of contact and contaminations include regularly washing your hands with soap and water, using hand sanitizer, and avoiding touching your face. It is also important to regularly clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces and objects.

4. How can we reduce the risk of points of contact and contaminations in public places?

In public places, it is important to practice good hygiene habits and follow any guidelines or regulations set in place. This can include wearing a mask, maintaining social distancing, and avoiding touching surfaces as much as possible.

5. Are there any specific groups of people who are more at risk for points of contact and contaminations?

Yes, there are certain groups of people who may be more susceptible to points of contact and contaminations, such as young children, older adults, and those with weakened immune systems. It is important for these individuals to take extra precautions to protect themselves from potential infections.