1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson approximation distribution

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a manufacturing process for electrical components, the probability of a finished component being defective is 0.012, independently of all others. Finished components are packed in boxes of 100. A box is acceptable if it contains not more than 1 defective component. Justify the use of a Poisson approximation for the distribution of the number of defective components in a box. 8 boxes are randomly chosen. Given that all of them are acceptable, estimate the conditional probability that they contain exactly 6 defective components altogether.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let X be the number of defective components in a box containing 100 components, then X~B(100,0.012) => X~P(1.2)
    P(X<=1) = 0.663
    Let Y be the number of acceptable boxes in 8 randomly chosen ones, thus Y~B(8,0.663)
    P(Y=8) = 0.663^8 = 0.0372
    P(required) = P(8 acceptable boxes contain 6 defective components) / P(8 acceptable boxes)
    I could calculate the probability that 8 randomly chosen boxes contain 6 defective components (using a Poisson distribution with mean=9.6, I guess), but I'm clueless when it comes to '8 acceptable boxes'.
    Any feedback would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You know that the eight boxes are all acceptable, so each has either one or no defective components. So six have to have a defective component. The remaining two have none. What's the probability of that occurring?

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3
    So, P(X=1)=0.361 , P(X=0)=0.301
    P(8 acceptable boxes contain 6 defective components) = (8C6)((0.361)^6)((0.306)^2))=0.0056
    P(required)=0.0056/0.0372=0.151

Am I getting it right?

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, that's it.

6. Feb 20, 2012 #5
    That helps a lot. Thanks
    Oh, I have one more question here. If X and Y are 2 independent events, are X and Y', X' and Y' independent also?
    (X' and Y' are the complements of X and Y, respectively.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook