Probability of Exactly 4 Defective Relays from 5 Random Select

In summary, the probability of exactly 4 defective relays from a selection of 5 random relays can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula, taking into account the number of trials, probability of success, and number of successes. This can also be determined by dividing the number of ways to select 4 defective relays by the total number of possible combinations. The significance of 4 defective relays can vary depending on the context and the probability will decrease as the total number of relays in the selection increases. While it can provide insight into future occurrences, it cannot be used to predict with certainty due to other influencing factors.
pluto31
1. Homework Statement [

A stockpile of 40 relays contain 8 defective relays. If 5 relays are selected random, and the number of defective relays is known to be greater than 2, what is the probability that exactly four relays are defective?

Homework Equations

Calculus of probability

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been try to find the solution but I got confused. Can you guys help me?

This is my solution :

the probability from defective relays is : 8/40, the probability from 5 random is : 5/40 and the probability of 4 defective from 5 random select is : 4/5.
so my solution is ((5/40)/(8/40))x(4/5) = 25/32 =0.7815

is this right or my solution is wrong ... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pluto31! Welcome to physics forums! :smile:

Your solution is wrong. The question has already told you that the number of defective relays is known to be more than 2. Apply this condition to your solution, too :wink:

pluto31 said:
1. Homework Statement [

A stockpile of 40 relays contain 8 defective relays. If 5 relays are selected random, and the number of defective relays is known to be greater than 2, what is the probability that exactly four relays are defective?

Homework Equations

Calculus of probability

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been try to find the solution but I got confused. Can you guys help me?

This is my solution :

the probability from defective relays is : 8/40, the probability from 5 random is : 5/40 and the probability of 4 defective from 5 random select is : 4/5.
so my solution is ((5/40)/(8/40))x(4/5) = 25/32 =0.7815

is this right or my solution is wrong ... thanks

Do you understand that this is a conditional probability problem? Suppose D = number of defects in 5 chosen relays. For now, suppose you are able to compute the 6 probabilities [itex] p_0 = P(D=0), \; p_1 = P(D=1), \ldots, p_5 = P(D=5).[/itex] Can you express the solution to the problem in terms of these [itex]p_i[/itex]?

Now you have the problem of computing the [itex] p_i[/itex] for the relevant values of i. Can you see how to do that?

RGV

Related to Probability of Exactly 4 Defective Relays from 5 Random Select

1. What is the probability of exactly 4 defective relays from a selection of 5 random relays?

The probability of exactly 4 defective relays from a selection of 5 random relays can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula. This formula takes into account the number of trials (n), the probability of success (p), and the number of successes (k). In this case, n=5, p=probability of a defective relay, and k=4.

2. How can the probability of exactly 4 defective relays be determined?

The probability of exactly 4 defective relays can be determined by dividing the number of ways to select 4 defective relays out of 5 total relays by the total number of possible combinations of 5 relays. This can also be represented mathematically as P(4 defects) = (5 choose 4) * p^4 * (1-p)^1, where p is the probability of a defective relay.

3. What is the significance of exactly 4 defective relays in a selection of 5 random relays?

The significance of exactly 4 defective relays in a selection of 5 random relays can vary depending on the context. In a manufacturing setting, it may indicate a potential issue with the production process. In a research study, it may suggest a correlation between certain factors and the likelihood of a defective relay. It is important to analyze the results further and consider the implications in a specific situation.

4. How does the probability of exactly 4 defective relays change if the number of relays in the selection is increased?

The probability of exactly 4 defective relays will decrease as the total number of relays in the selection increases. This is because the probability of selecting a single defective relay decreases with a larger pool of relays to choose from. However, the overall probability may still be significant depending on the context and the probability of a defective relay.

5. Can the probability of exactly 4 defective relays be used to predict future occurrences?

The probability of exactly 4 defective relays can provide insight into the likelihood of a similar outcome in the future, but it cannot be used to predict with certainty. Other factors may influence the probability, and it is important to consider these factors when making predictions. Additionally, the probability may change over time as conditions and variables change.