Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson approximation to the normal

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    So my book merely mentions that this holds as a result of the central limit theorem for values of lambda greater than 10, but ideally greater than 32.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew this actual proof as I am interested in seeing it step by step and I could not have found it anywhere that I have looked.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't give you an off hand answer, but it is essentially based on the central limit theorem. Similar result holds for binomial distribution.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    The Berry-Esseen theorem is similar to CLT but gives a bound on the difference between the CDF of a sample mean and the normal CDF, in terms of n and the third moment.

To use this theorem here, for example, write a high-frequency Poisson as a sum of low-frequency iid Poissons (e.g. [tex]\lambda=n.f[/tex] where f is a value between 0.9 and 1) and then find the value of n that gives the required accuracy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook