1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson brackets little problem

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a particle, calculate Poisson brackets formed by:
    1)The Cartesian components of the linear momentum [itex]\vec p[/itex] and the angular momentum [/itex]\vec M =\vec r \times \vec p[/itex].
    2)The Cartesian components of the angular momentum.

2. Relevant equations

[itex][u,p]_{q,p}= \sum _k \left ( \frac{\partial q }{\partial q_k } \frac{\partial v }{\partial p _k} -\frac{\partial q }{\partial p_k } \frac{\partial v }{\partial q _k} \right )[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    2)Nothing still, waiting to complete 1).
    1)I calculated the Cartesian components of M and p.
    I don't understand what I have to calculate. [itex][\vec p, \vec M][/itex] I'm guessing but with what subscript?
    Thanks for any help.

Edit: Hmm I think the subscript is always q,p. But p and M are vectors, so have I to calculate directional derivative?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2
    [tex] \vec{p} = ( p_x , p_y , p_z ) = p_i [/tex] and [tex] \vec{r} = ( x , y , z ) = x_i [/tex]

[tex] M_i = \epsilon_{ijk} x_j p_k [/tex] where the einstein summation convention is used

[tex] [p_i,M_j]= \sum _l \left ( \frac{\partial p_i }{\partial q_l } \frac{\partial M_j }{\partial p _l} -\frac{\partial p_i }{\partial p_l } \frac{\partial M_j }{\partial q _l} \right ) [/tex]

hope this helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook