1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson-brackets: oh look, we have a group!

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    Suppose we had canonical-coordinates and momenta, q[0], q[1], q[2], q[3], and p[0], p[1], p[2], p[3], and we said "Oh, and also: here are some *given* Poisson-bracket relations for the canonical coordinates and momenta that we take as Given ("lemma"?)."

Is that all that's needed to specify the so-called "structure" of a group? Namely: the Galilei group or Poincare group, once the appropriate elements are specified? (By "elements" of the aforementioned groups, I think I mean: generators of system-dynamics, like translations, rotations, etc.)

The reason I ask: my classical mechanics prof wrote his own class-notes, and I'm trying to provoke discussion that would supplement his perspectives (and my perspectives on his perspectives).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2
    This would be more appropriate in the homework help section, not the academic section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook