Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson distribution on a simulated (SSA) data set

1. Feb 14, 2014 #1
    I've been asked to fit the histogram with a Poisson distribution as part of a mostly independent learning thing. The data was produced through a stochastic simulation.

Can someone get me started on how I would go about finding the expected distribution?

If you need additional information, or if you would like to see the code (python), please ask.

x6xrhFs.png

Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2014 #2
    If your data is coming from time-series observations, then perhaps a more important question is *should* you be fitting the data directly to a distribution?

4. Feb 15, 2014 #3
    That's what I'm thinking, but I was specifically asked to set a Poisson distribution to this. So there must be a way that the propensities can be used to find a prediction. Or at least a close approximation for long times.

I don't know how to go about this, though.

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The mean of the sample approximates the λ parameter of the Poisson distribution. That defines the Poisson distribution. My guess is λ ~ 8.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook