Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson's equation and Green's functions

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1

jmb

Trying to verify the general integral solution to Poisson's equation I reach the following contradiction, what am I missing/doing wrong?

A solution [tex]u(\mathbf{x})[/tex] to Poisson's equation satisfies:

[tex]\nabla^2 u(\mathbf{x}) = - \frac{\rho(\mathbf{x})}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

we can find such a solution in a given domain by evaluating:

[tex]u(\mathbf{x}) = \int_{V} \frac{\rho(\mathbf{x'})}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x'}|} d\mathbf{x'}[/tex]

or equivalently (if we are only interested in the electric field):

[tex]\mathbf{E} = -\nabla u = - \int_{V} \frac{\rho(\mathbf{x'})}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x'}}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x'}|^3} d\mathbf{x'}[/tex]

We can think of these solutions as either the Green's function solution or, physically, as the convolution of the point source solution with the source density [tex]\rho(\mathbf{x})[/tex].

However if I take the Laplacian (or the divergence in the case of the electric field solution) of either of the above I get zero instead of [tex]-\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]. What am I missing??

To evaluate the Laplacian/divergence of the above I make use of the fact that [tex]\mathbf{x'}[/tex] is a 'dummy variable', which allows me to switch the order of integration and differentiation when applying [tex]\nabla^2[/tex] to the integral on the RHS and also means the components of [tex]\mathbf{x'}[/tex] all have derivative zero. With these assumptions the operation is fairly straightforward to carry out, but I have anyway verified my answer with Mathematica.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not so. You should take the Laplacian with respect to x (after all you are calculating [tex]\nabla^2{u(x)}[/tex]). Since
    [tex]\nabla^2 \frac{1}{|x-x'|}=\delta(x-x')[/tex]
    you get the right result from the integration.
    This expression is derived in many places:
    Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, 2nd ed., Eq. (1.31)
    Arfken, Math Methods for Physicists, 2nd ed., sect. 1.15
    to give two examples.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  4. Nov 26, 2007 #3

jmb

Thanks marcusl.

Yes I was taking the derivative wrt x (hence the derivatives of all components of x' being zero). But I was erroneously evaluating the Laplacian of [tex]\frac{1}{|x-x'|}[/tex] as zero.

I've since found references to the result you quote, but they all start by searching for the Green's function [tex]G[/tex] that satisfies [tex]\nabla^2 G = \delta(x-x')[/tex] and then deducing it to be the above... out of interest do you know of any way to show it starting from the other end --- i.e. directly differentiating [tex]\frac{1}{|x-x'|}[/tex] and showing its Laplacian to be the delta function? Or do the references you quote do it that way?

I'll look them up when I get the chance. Thanks again.

5. Nov 26, 2007 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, Jackson shows it explicitly. And, now that I'm looking at his formula instead of relying on memory, I see I forgot the constant
    [tex]\nabla^2 \frac{1}{|x-x'|}=-4\pi \delta(x-x')[/tex]

6. Nov 26, 2007 #5

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  7. Nov 27, 2007 #6

jmb

OK samalkhaiat I'll have a shot at your "remaining 8 marks", let me know if I'm missing something!

From the divergence theorem we have,

[tex]I = \int_{V} \nabla^2 (1/r) dV = \int_{S} \nabla (1/r) \cdot \mathbf{dS}[/tex]

Since the RHS is a surface integral we don't need to worry about evaluating [tex]\nabla (1/r)[/tex] at the origin and so, choosing V as a sphere centred on the origin, we can straightforwardly write the surface integral as:

[tex]I = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left(\frac{1}{r}\right) r^2 \sin{\theta} \; d\theta \; d\phi = -4\pi[/tex]

(since [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left(\frac{1}{r}\right) = -\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]) as required.

8. Nov 27, 2007 #7

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jackson has similar expressions on p. 39 (he calls the integral C instead of I).

9. Nov 27, 2007 #8

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

10. Nov 28, 2007 #9

jmb

11. Nov 29, 2007 #10

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  12. Nov 30, 2007 #11

jmb

Cool. Many thanks again to both marcusl and samalkhaiat for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?