Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar and Jordan Decomp. in Intro to Linear Algebra?

1. Dec 9, 2015 #1
    My Intro to LA course has visited the ideas of polar decomposition and Jordan forms, but not gone into them in depth. I wouldn't say I understood them, but I'm aware of them, and could possibly solve some basic exercises involving them if all I had to do was apply formulas.

My question is: should an undergraduate level Intro to LA course (in the context of supporting an overall Electrical Engineering degree) go deeper into Polar and Jordan Decomposition? Should I look for some outside resources to fill out my understanding in these areas, or leave it til it becomes clearer whether I'll need it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want more notes my free ones explain the jordan form in three different courses, math 845, 8000, and 4050. (I never needed nor learned the polar form, but when i do i will maybe write it up too.)

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/~roy/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook