Polariton, magnon, or something similar

• I
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
In summary, Hopfield's original paper discusses the quantization of the ##{\bf D}## field in a polarizable medium, leading to the creation of two different types of quanta: photons and polaritons. These polaritons can encompass various types of quasiparticles, including excitons and optical phonons. Similarly, the excitations involving spin degrees of freedom in magnetic fields are called magnons. However, the distinction between whether these quanta are considered D-quanta or H-quanta is a matter of convention and not a physical distinction. This is due to the fact that the choice of gauge is not completely fixed when expressing the Faraday tensor and material currents in terms of the electric and magnetic fields.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In a polarizable medium, one introduces the field
$${\bf D}={\bf E}+{\bf P}$$
where ##{\bf E}## is the electric field and ##{\bf P}## is the polarization. (Units are chosen such that there are no additional factors.) When this field is quantized (second quantization), one gets quanta of ##{\bf D}## which are similar to photons. Are these quanta of ##{\bf D}## called polaritons? If not, then what is the name of those ##{\bf D}##-quanta, and where can I find more about them?

Similarly, for magnetic fields we have
$${\bf H}={\bf B}-{\bf M}$$
where ##{\bf M}## is magnetization, etc. Are the quanta of ##{\bf H}## called magnons? If not, then what is the name of those ##{\bf H}##-quanta, and where can I find more about them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's Hopfield's original paper coining the term "polariton:"
http://journals.aps.org/pr/pdf/10.1103/PhysRev.112.1555
He quantizes the ##\textbf{D}## field, which yields 2 different creation operators: one for the photon and one for the polariton (Equations 6-8). He goes on to show that many different types of quasiparticles can be classified as polaritons, including excitons and optical phonons.

I don't know too much about magnons, but it seems reasonable to think they're analogous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Demystifier
Thanks, that was very useful!

The similarity between electric and magnetic fields is only superficial. In fact, at higher frequencies, like in optics, all effects of the medium can be described in terms of E, D, and B with H=B. The magnetic effects are encoded in a nonlocal dependence of P on E. This is called spatial dispersion and is the usual convention chosen in optics. At lower frequencies, namely radiowaves, it is more common to assume a local dependence of P on E and a local relation between M and B. This is also related to the response of spin degrees of freedom becoming unimportant at optical frequencies.
Magnons are typically the excitations involving spin degrees of freedom.
This is discussed quite in detail in Landau Lifshetz, Electrodynamics of continua.

DrDu said:
In fact, at higher frequencies, like in optics, all effects of the medium can be described in terms of E, D, and B with H=B.
Why would one be only interested in higher frequencies?

Demystifier said:
Why would one be only interested in higher frequencies?
Did I say so?

What I mean is the following: Both magnons and polaritons are effects that result from the coupling of the electromagnetic field to the mediums current density j.
In the case of magnons, you can express j either in terms of P or M: ##j=-\partial P/\partial t## or ##j=\mathrm{rot} M##. So whether they are D-quanta or H-quanta is at best a matter of convention and not a physical distinction.

DrDu said:
So whether they are D-quanta or H-quanta is at best a matter of convention and not a physical distinction.
Is it like saying that whether photon is an E-quanta or B-quanta is a matter of convention?

Demystifier said:
Is it like saying that whether photon is an E-quanta or B-quanta is a matter of convention?
I bet you could write a Faraday tensor in matter as something like ##D^{\mu \nu} = F^{\mu \nu} + a P^{\mu \nu}## where ##F## is the standard Faraday tensor and ##P## is a polarization/magnetization tensor and just quantize the whole thing. Then polaritons would just be ##P##-quanta and everything else (magnons, spinons, phonons, excitons, etc.) would just be a specific instantiation of a polariton.

Likes Demystifier
It is rather a choice of gauge. This is most clear in a 4-vector formulation. The charge density charge current vector ##j_\mu## is related to the polarisation-magnetization vector ## \Pi_{\mu \nu}## via ##j_\nu=\partial_\mu \Pi_{\mu \nu}##. This equation actually defines the tensor ##\Pi##. But the definition is not unique, as we may add any solution of ##\partial_\mu \Pi^{(0)}_{\mu \nu}=0##. A possible choice is ##\Pi_{0i}=P_i=-\Pi_{i0}## and the other components of ##\Pi=0##. Then the material currents are described exclusively in terms of polarisation.

DrDu said:
It is rather a choice of gauge. This is most clear in a 4-vector formulation. The charge density charge current vector ##j_\mu## is related to the polarisation-magnetization vector ## \Pi_{\mu \nu}## via ##j_\nu=\partial_\mu \Pi_{\mu \nu}##. This equation actually defines the tensor ##\Pi##. But the definition is not unique, as we may add any solution of ##\partial_\mu \Pi^{(0)}_{\mu \nu}=0##. A possible choice is ##\Pi_{0i}=P_i=-\Pi_{i0}## and the other components of ##\Pi=0##. Then the material currents are described exclusively in terms of polarisation.
But ##P^{\mu\nu}## in post #9 is gauge invariant. How is your ##\Pi_{\mu \nu}## related to ##P^{\mu\nu}##?

The two are the same. I meant "choice of gauge" in a more general way: While F can be expressed as a derivative of the vector potential A, also j can be expressed as a derivative of the "potential" P. Neither A nor P are completely fixed by specification of F and j, respectively, but there still is some freedom of "gauge".

DrDu said:
The two are the same. I meant "choice of gauge" in a more general way: While F can be expressed as a derivative of the vector potential A, also j can be expressed as a derivative of the "potential" P. Neither A nor P are completely fixed by specification of F and j, respectively, but there still is some freedom of "gauge".
If so, then H and D are also not completely fixed by specification of F and j. Is that what you are saying?

Yes, exactly.

1. What is a polariton?

A polariton is a quasiparticle that is a combination of both light and matter. It is formed when a photon and an exciton interact in a material with strong light-matter coupling. Polaritons can exhibit properties of both light and matter, making them useful for studying fundamental physics as well as for potential applications in optoelectronics.

2. How are polaritons created?

Polaritons are created through a process called strong light-matter coupling, where photons and excitons interact strongly in a material. This can occur in certain semiconductors, such as quantum wells or microcavities, where the photons and excitons are confined in a small space and can interact more strongly. This interaction leads to the formation of polaritons.

3. What are magnons?

Magnons are quasiparticles that represent collective excitations of the spins of electrons in a magnetic material. They are similar to phonons, which represent collective vibrations of atoms in a material. Magnons play a crucial role in the behavior of magnetic materials and are important for understanding phenomena such as magnetism and magnetic ordering.

4. How are magnons different from polaritons?

Magnons and polaritons are different types of quasiparticles that arise from different physical processes. As mentioned, magnons are excitations of the spins of electrons in a magnetic material, while polaritons are a combination of light and matter. Magnons are typically found in magnetic materials, while polaritons can be created in various materials through strong light-matter coupling.

5. What are the potential applications of polaritons and magnons?

Polaritons and magnons have potential applications in various fields, including optoelectronics, spintronics, and quantum information processing. For example, polaritons could be used to create new types of lasers and sensors, while magnons could be used for data storage and manipulation in spintronic devices. Additionally, the study of these quasiparticles can also provide insights into fundamental physics and potentially lead to new technologies in the future.