Polarization of EM waves is preserved after reflection/refraction -- Why?

In summary, according to the author, the boundary condition itself is isotropic in the plane, which allows for the conclusion that TM/TE "conservation" applies upon reflection/refraction. However, this isn't always the case, as is demonstrated with the example of a linearly polarized radio wave intercepted by a dipole. Finally, the book goes into more detail regarding the reflection/refraction of waves with a Brewster angle effect.
xxxyyy
Hello,
here's my question:
during the usual derivation of Fresnel's equations, it is assumed that an incident EM wave (plane monochromatic) is transverse electric or magnatic and that it keeps this nature after reflection and transmission.
How can this be proven?
Thank you!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the boundary condition itself is isotropic in the plane. Notice it will change the sense of circular polarization upon reflection.

Likes vanhees71
I'm sorry I have to bring up again this discussion but I don't get why from isotropic boundary conditions it's so easy to conclude TM/TE "conservation" upon reflection/refraction.
Apart from that, here, in Feynman's lectures
https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_33.html
below Fig. 33-6, he says there's a lot of algebra behind it...
Has anyone ever done this calculation? I don't seem to find it anywhere and I'd really like to see it.
Thanks everyone!

Its done in my 1962 edition of Jackson Classical Electrodynamics. The details are, well, detailed. So long as you understand Brewster's angle and why a circularly polarized wave changes helicity upon reflection you know what you need IMHO.

Likes vanhees71
hutchphd said:
Its done in my 1962 edition of Jackson Classical Electrodynamics. The details are, well, detailed. So long as you understand Brewster's angle and why a circularly polarized wave changes helicity upon reflection you know what you need IMHO.
1962 edition of Jackson? I thought the first edition was 1973...

NVM my mistake its 1962. All this time i thought i had the first edition but i actually had the second edition (which is from 1975 not 1973) which i bought back at 1999 when I couldn't find the 3rd edition in Greek bookstores.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
xxxyyy said:
it keeps this nature after reflection and transmission.
That's not always the case. I only need one example to show this: If a linearly polarised radio wave is intercepted by a dipole that's orientated away from the plane of the E field then there will be a wave, re-radiated from the dipole that's in the plane of the dipiole.

hutchphd said:
In chapter 7.5 Jackson assumes it (pag 218, "all the electric fields are shown directed away from the viewer"). He actually discards the first boudary condition, saying it gives nothing...
It is satisfied, and that's good, but, as Feynman said, we need to prove that this is the only solution (together with the other one, the transverse magnetic).
Is it proven somewhere else in the book?

Delta2 said:
1962 edition of Jackson? I thought the first edition was 1973...
I graduate school I used my 1962 ed from my undergraduate course rather than buy the second edition. The first test, do problems 11.2, 14.7 ...

Likes Delta2 and hutchphd
It's worth noting that isotropy of the boundary conditions in the plane means that the induced surface current will be in the same direction as the incident electric field component in the plane. To change linear polarization, the induced currents would need to have components normal to this direction. This would violate the stated isotropy.

Likes vanhees71, DaveE and hutchphd
If the surface is
Paul Colby said:
It's worth noting that isotropy of the boundary conditions in the plane means that the induced surface current will be in the same direction as the incident electric field component in the plane. To change linear polarization, the induced currents would need to have components normal to this direction. This would violate the stated isotropy.
If the reflecting surface is not a perfect conductor, we may find a pseudo Brewster Angle effect. Waves approaching at this angle, if in the plane of the paper, are weakly reflected. Waves normal to the paper are strongly reflected. But if we have a wave polarised at 45 degrees to the paper, it may be resolved into two waves in the principle planes. These two waves suffer different reflection effects, in amplitude and phase, so when they are re-combined to give the emergent ray we might find it to be elliptically polarised.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, Paul Colby and Delta2

1. How does the polarization of an EM wave affect its reflection and refraction?

The polarization of an EM wave refers to the direction of its electric field oscillations. When an EM wave encounters a boundary between two different mediums, such as air and glass, a portion of the wave is reflected and a portion is refracted. The polarization of the reflected and refracted waves will depend on the angle of incidence and the properties of the two mediums.

2. Why is the polarization of an EM wave preserved after reflection and refraction?

The polarization of an EM wave is preserved after reflection and refraction due to the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. When an EM wave is reflected or refracted, the electric and magnetic fields must obey these laws, which results in the preservation of the polarization.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect the polarization of a reflected or refracted EM wave?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the EM wave hits the boundary between two mediums, plays a significant role in determining the polarization of the reflected and refracted waves. For example, when the angle of incidence is perpendicular to the boundary, the reflected wave will be polarized in the same direction as the incident wave. However, when the angle of incidence is parallel to the boundary, the reflected wave will be polarized perpendicular to the incident wave.

4. Can the polarization of an EM wave change after reflection or refraction?

In most cases, the polarization of an EM wave will remain the same after reflection or refraction. However, there are some special cases where the polarization can change, such as when the incident wave is at a specific angle known as the Brewster's angle. In this case, the reflected wave will be completely polarized perpendicular to the incident wave.

5. How does the refractive index of a medium affect the polarization of a refracted EM wave?

The refractive index of a medium, which is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced in that medium, can impact the polarization of a refracted EM wave. In general, the higher the refractive index of a medium, the more significant the effect on the polarization. This is because a higher refractive index means a stronger interaction between the EM wave and the medium, resulting in a greater change in the polarization of the refracted wave.