Polarized Slab between Parallel Plate Electrode

In summary, the problem asks to find the electric field for a permanently polarized slab placed between parallel plate electrodes in free space. Using the equations D=ε_0E+P and D=εE, we can set up a coupled equation to solve for the electric field inside and outside the slab. However, since the problem does not specify the value of ε, it cannot be solved. It is also mentioned that the polarization is permanent, meaning it does not depend on the applied field.
Gandhi

Homework Statement

Find the electric field everywhere for the following permanently polarized structures which do not support any free charge:
(b) Permanently polarized slab [itex]P_0 i_x[/itex] of thickness [itex]b[/itex] placed between parallel plate electrodes in free space at potential difference [itex]V_0[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]D = ε_0 E + P[/itex]
[itex]D = εE[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]E_0(s-b) + E_i b = V_0[/itex] where E_0 is the electric field outside the slab and E_i is the electric field inside the slab.
[itex]εE_i = ε_0E_0 + P_0[/itex]
From here I was thinking, since I have a coupled equation, I would solve for [itex]E_i[/itex] and [itex]E_0[/itex] but I don't know if the above method will work since the value of ε was not given.
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• hw.jpg
    hw.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
When they say the polarization is permanent - do they mean that it does not depend on the applied field?

Simon Bridge said:
When they say the polarization is permanent - do they mean that it does not depend on the applied field?
It does not specify but I believe that is the case.

So what does that tell you about ##\epsilon##?

I would first clarify the problem by asking for more information about the material of the slab and the parallel plate electrodes, as well as the values of ε and P_0. These parameters are crucial for accurately calculating the electric field in this scenario. Additionally, I would suggest using a more systematic approach, such as Gauss's Law, to solve for the electric field in this situation. Without more information, it is difficult to provide a definitive solution.

1. What is a polarized slab between parallel plate electrodes?

A polarized slab between parallel plate electrodes is a setup in which a dielectric material (such as a plastic or glass slab) is placed between two parallel metal plates. The plates are connected to a power source, creating an electric field within the slab.

2. What is the purpose of using a polarized slab between parallel plate electrodes?

The purpose of this setup is to study the behavior of electric fields within dielectric materials. By changing the voltage and measuring the resulting electric field, scientists can understand how the material responds to an applied electric field.

3. How does the thickness of the polarized slab affect the electric field?

The thickness of the polarized slab affects the strength of the electric field within the material. As the thickness increases, the electric field decreases due to the polarized atoms in the material creating a counter electric field.

4. What is the difference between a polarized slab and a non-polarized slab?

A polarized slab contains atoms that have been rearranged by an applied electric field, resulting in a dipole moment and a counter electric field. A non-polarized slab does not have this rearrangement of atoms and therefore does not exhibit a counter electric field.

5. How can the dielectric constant of a material be determined using a polarized slab between parallel plate electrodes?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, of a material can be determined by measuring the electric field within the slab at different voltages. The ratio of the electric field to the applied voltage is equal to the dielectric constant of the material.