Pole-Barn Paradox: Is My Understanding Correct?

• I
  • Thread starter Grasshopper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, in the first frame, the observer is at rest with respect to the barn. The pole is at rest with respect to the barn and observer. The pole is longer than the barn. The pole goes through and fits completely inside the barn for a moment.In the second frame, the observer is closed the barn's doors. The pole is inside the barn. The pole is crushed.In the third frame, the observer is reopened the barn's doors and the pole is outside the barn.
Grasshopper
Gold Member
I want to make sure I have this right, and whatever I have wrong I would like to fix it.

Part I:

So in particular, I’m referring to a fast moving pole along the x-axis of an observer who is at rest with respect to the barn (the barn is a few feet away from the observer), and when the pole is at rest with respect to the barn and observer, it is longer than the barn. The pole goes through and fits completely inside the barn for a moment.

So my understanding of the situation is that, yes there is length contraction, however, to the pole, the barn is contracted as well. So what really matters is that the two ends are only in the barn simultaneously from the frame of reference of the observer standing next to the barn. For the pole, there is no such situation where both ends are in the barn simultaneously.

Part II: This time the doors of the barn are closed the moment both ends of the pole are inside.

This time, the observer sees both ends of the pole inside the barn at the same time, and the pole is crushed (because the sudden stop slows it down so that it is no longer length contracted).

But for the pole, first the door it is moving towards closes, it crashes into it, and then the signal of the sudden crash perpetuates through the pole at less than c, and when the back end the pole catches up so that it is inside the barn, THEN the back door closes.In summary, the solution to this apparent paradox is the relativity of simultaneity.

How close is that to correct? What did I get incorrect?

Thanks as always!

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
Grasshopper said:
however, to the pole, the barn is contracted as well.
I'd say "the barn is contracted instead", since the pole is not contracted in its rest frame. Other than that piece of pedantry what you wrote looks fine to me.

Likes Grasshopper
That looks right. You can nail it even further by describing the sequence of events in each frame with some specific numbers.

Likes Ibix

1. What is the pole-barn paradox?

The pole-barn paradox is a thought experiment in special relativity that explores the concept of length contraction. It involves a pole and a barn moving at high speeds relative to each other and the observer.

2. How does the pole-barn paradox challenge our understanding of length contraction?

The pole-barn paradox challenges our understanding of length contraction because it appears to violate the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. The paradox raises questions about the relativity of simultaneity and the concept of a "moving" object.

3. Is the pole-barn paradox a real paradox or just a thought experiment?

The pole-barn paradox is considered a thought experiment because it is not a real-world scenario that can be observed or tested. However, it highlights the counterintuitive nature of special relativity and has been used to explain the concept of length contraction to students and scientists.

4. Can the pole-barn paradox be resolved?

There is no definitive resolution to the pole-barn paradox, as it is a thought experiment. However, it can be explained and understood through the principles of special relativity. Some physicists argue that the paradox is simply a result of our limited human perspective and that it does not actually violate any physical laws.

5. How does the pole-barn paradox relate to other paradoxes in physics?

The pole-barn paradox is similar to other paradoxes in physics, such as the twin paradox and the ladder paradox. They all challenge our understanding of space and time in the context of special relativity. These paradoxes help us to better understand the counterintuitive nature of the universe and the need for new concepts and theories to explain it.