Polygonal mirror reflection beam Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a spindle motor from an HDD and a polygonal mirror with 6 facets. The issue is that the mirrors are not perfectly aligned, resulting in 6 lines instead of one when the laser is reflected. The suggested solutions include using salvaged mirrors from barcode scanners, creating a jig for precise alignment, and making the facets adjustable. The dimensions of each facet are 3.5cmx1.9cm.
anita1984
Hello forum , i have a spindle motor from an HDD and i pasted to this motor 6 facets polygonal mirror, the problem is that the mirrors are not 100% alignment ( it's hand made) and the laser reflected from this mirrors is doing 6 lines ( where it should be one line if all mirrors are good alignment, all 6 lines should be overlap and we can see one line), what do you recommand me a tric to do it to make lines overlap , or a nice method to make another polygonal more profesional.
every facet has a dimension of 3.5cmx1.9cm
Thank you in advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here are some thoughts.

The very precisely made polygonal mirrors are salvaged from barcode scanners and available from electronic salvage suppliers.

A jig can be made to resemble a faceting machine (google for a pic).
You would start out with a reasonably true polygon and mount it on a rod parallel to a flat.
Then use a protractor to rotate it precisely.
With a stop to set the height above the flat, you would lower the polygon onto a precut mirror with a drop of epoxy on top at each angle of rotation.
This sets your mirrors at precise angles and parallel to the axis of rotation.
Because distance will amplify inaccuracy, the more precisely you set up your indexing and parallelism the better the result will be.

anita1984 said:
Hello forum , i have a spindle motor from an HDD and i pasted to this motor 6 facets polygonal mirror, the problem is that the mirrors are not 100% alignment ( it's hand made) and the laser reflected from this mirrors is doing 6 lines ( where it should be one line if all mirrors are good alignment, all 6 lines should be overlap and we can see one line), what do you recommand me a tric to do it to make lines overlap , or a nice method to make another polygonal more profesional.
every facet has a dimension of 3.5cmx1.9cm
Thank you in advance,

Another alternative would be to make the facets adjustable, with a couple set scrrews and springs or something. If you aren't able to precisely machine the base part (which would take a pretty good CNC mill, I would think), then make one that has a way to adjust the 2-D tilt of each mirror (or at least all but one of the mirrors).

Thank you for the ideas , i will try them soon ,
Have a nice day

What is a polygonal mirror reflection beam problem?

A polygonal mirror reflection beam problem is a phenomenon that occurs when a beam of light is reflected off a polygonal mirror and results in distorted or overlapping reflections.

What causes a polygonal mirror reflection beam problem?

The main cause of a polygonal mirror reflection beam problem is imperfections in the mirror's surface, such as scratches or uneven coating. These imperfections can cause the light to reflect at different angles, resulting in distorted reflections.

How does a polygonal mirror reflection beam problem affect scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments that involve precise measurements and observations, a polygonal mirror reflection beam problem can significantly impact the accuracy of results. It can also make it difficult for scientists to analyze and interpret data.

What are some solutions for a polygonal mirror reflection beam problem?

One solution for a polygonal mirror reflection beam problem is to use a mirror with a higher quality surface, such as a flat mirror. Another solution is to use anti-reflective coatings on the mirror's surface to reduce the amount of light that is reflected. Adjusting the angle of the mirror can also help minimize the problem.

Are there any other factors that can contribute to a polygonal mirror reflection beam problem?

Yes, in addition to imperfections in the mirror's surface, the light source and the material the mirror is made of can also play a role in causing a polygonal mirror reflection beam problem. Different types of light, such as laser or LED, can produce different effects when reflected off a polygonal mirror. The material of the mirror can also affect the way the light is reflected.