1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polylogarithm and taylor series

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    let nε Z. the polylogarithm functions are a family of functions, one for each n. they are defined by the following taylor series:
    Lin(x)= Ʃ xk/kn

1.calculate the radius of convergence

3. when i attempted this part, i couldnt use theratio or root test, so by comparison i got R=∞

2. Prove that (1-x)2 Li-1 (x)= x

im not sure how to go about this. i know that Li-1 (x)= 1/(1-x)2 but im not sure how to prove that..........

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first part, I have no idea what you compared with. For the second just look at the taylor series expansion of 1/(1-x)^2. If that's Li-1(x), and it is, it certainly doesn't have radius of convergence ∞.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. Dec 8, 2012 #3
    hey! so i sorted out the first part but how do i axctually prove that Li-1 (x) is equal to 1/(1-x)^2?

5. Dec 8, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I told you. Find the taylor series expansion of 1/(1-x)^2. Compare it with the series definition of your polylogarithm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook