Polynomials and the Inner Product

In summary, the conversation is about checking whether two given formulae satisfy the properties of an inner product in a linear space of all real polynomials. The properties being checked include commutativity, distributivity, associativity, and positive definiteness. However, it is found that the given formulae do not satisfy the last property, as shown by examples where the inner product is equal to zero. The term "positive definiteness" is used to describe this property.
neutrino
The question requires me to check whether the following formulae satisfy the properties of an inner product given the linear space of all real polynomials.
[tex]
f(1)g(1)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\int_{0}^{1}f(t)dt\right)\left(\int_{0}^{1}g(t)dt\right)[/tex]

The properties are satisfied in both cases (at least, that's my answer), but the book says 'No'. How could this be?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eeh, wherever did you get those integrals from?
You have been GIVEN that the formula is (f,g)=f(1)*g(1).
THAT is the formula you are asked to check whether is correct or not!

arildno said:
Eeh, wherever did you get those integrals from?
You have been GIVEN that the formula is (f,g)=f(1)*g(1).
THAT is the formula you are asked to check whether is correct or not!

I think these might be two different questions, since the integrals don't follow from the first expression!

Sorry...cristo's right. Edited the post.

Show some work. What makes you think that the properties are satisfied?

Okay, for the first one...
Under the usual rules of multiplication...

f(1)g(1) = g(1)f(1)
(cf)(1)g(1) = c(f(1)g(1))
f(1)(g+h)(1) = f(1)g(1) + f(1)h(1)
f(1)f(1) = (f(1))2 > 0 for f(1) != 0, and of course, it's zero when f(1) = 0.

Second...
int(f)int(g) = int(g)int(f)
int(f)int(g+h) = int(f)( int(g)+int(h)) = int(f)(int(g)+int(f)int(h)
int(cf)int(g) = c int(f)int(g)
int(f)int(f) = (int(f))^2 >= 0

whatb ARE the properties of an inner product? MAYBE ONE OF THEM IS SUPPOSED TO BE positive definiteness.

mathwonk said:
whatb ARE the properties of an inner product?
Commutativity, Distributivity, Associativity and Positivity(that's the name given in the book for the last property).

MAYBE ONE OF THEM IS SUPPOSED TO BE positive definiteness.
I'm afraid I don't understand. :uhh:

What happens to the 4th condition if:
[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{2}-x[/tex]

What is positivity?

NateTG said:
What happens to the 4th condition if:
[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{2}-x[/tex]

f(1)f(1) = -0.5x(-0.5) = 0.25>0 ?

neutrino said:
f(1)f(1) = -0.5x(-0.5) = 0.25>0 ?
He meant in relation to the integral inner product.

AKG said:
He meant in relation to the integral inner product.
Ah! Okay, I get it. f(x) is not zero, but the inner product <f,f> is. Therefore it does not satisfy the last condition.

Similarly f(x) = x-1 is an example where the last condition is not satisfied (for the first problem), right?

neutrino said:
Ah! Okay, I get it. f(x) is not zero, but the inner product <f,f> is. Therefore it does not satisfy the last condition.

Similarly f(x) = x-1 is an example where the last condition is not satisfied (for the first problem), right?
Right. When mathwonk mentioned "positive definiteness", he was referring to the following property:

<f,f> > 0 if f is not the zero polynomial, and <f,f> = 0 if f is the zero polynomial.

It is standard to call this property "positive definiteness", although you appear to be calling it "positivity".

Thanks for the help, guys. :)

AKG said:
It is standard to call this property "positive definiteness", although you appear to be calling it "positivity".

Not me, but Tom M.Apostol. :tongue2:

What are polynomials and how are they used in the inner product?

Polynomials are algebraic expressions that involve variables and constants. They are used in the inner product to represent vectors in a vector space. The coefficients of the polynomial represent the coordinates of the vector in the space.

What is the inner product and why is it important?

The inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is important because it allows us to measure the angle between two vectors, calculate the length of a vector, and determine if two vectors are orthogonal.

What is the difference between the dot product and the inner product?

The dot product is a special case of the inner product that is defined for real-valued vectors in three-dimensional space. The inner product, on the other hand, is a more general operation that is defined for vectors in any vector space. Additionally, the dot product only produces a scalar value, while the inner product can produce a scalar, vector, or matrix.

How do you calculate the inner product of two polynomials?

To calculate the inner product of two polynomials, you first need to find the coefficients of each polynomial. Then, multiply the corresponding coefficients of each polynomial, and add all of these products together. This will give you the scalar value of the inner product.

Can polynomials be used in the inner product for complex vector spaces?

Yes, polynomials can be used in the inner product for complex vector spaces. In this case, the coefficients of the polynomials would be complex numbers, and the inner product would be defined as the complex conjugate of the first polynomial multiplied by the second polynomial.