Population drop word problem -- help with the Algebra please

In summary, In the attempt at a solution, the author tries three different ways to solve for the equation which is set up incorrectly, and concludes that it is incorrect.
opus
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement
You’re testing the effect of a noxious substance on bacteria. Every 10 minutes, one-tenth of the bacteria which are still alive are killed. If the population of bacteria starts with 10^6, within which period of 10 minutes will 70% of the bacteria be killed?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried three different ways to solve, which are all on the attached image (seemed more effective to post that so you can see my reasoning). I’d just like to know if my equation set up is incorrect or if my calculations are incorrect. Each of the three attempts is in its own box. I know I’m wrong on all three, as the solution from the book says 110-120 minutes.

Attachments

• BBF774E7-1B5B-4D42-9281-2E4E8410D1DC.png
    BBF774E7-1B5B-4D42-9281-2E4E8410D1DC.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation setup is incorrect. It looks like you are using ##x## for the number of periods. Then ##x## must be an exponent, not something that just multiplies other numbers.

To get you started, think about this: What proportion of the original bacteria is left after 20 minutes?
Now what about after 20 minutes?
Now what about 30 minutes?

With luck you will see the pattern and get the correct formula.

Likes opus
I guess we are not allowed to post "complete" solutions here as responses. I will give only this as guidance, so if opus want, you should work with this as best you can.

Try starting with a model like y=p*e^(-kx).
x is the count of ten-minute time periods and p is the initial count of the bacteria.
You can use some of the given information to find the value for k. The first step for that may look like this:
10^6*e^(-10k)=0.9*10^6

That's all I give here. Work with that and take it as far as you can.

Likes opus
Ok thanks for the responses.

Here's the reasoning that I had:
We start with a factor of 10^6, and every period of 10 minutes, that gets cut by 1/10.
So by the second period, period 2, I figured it to look like 2(10^6(1/10)), meaning that the process of cutting the 10^6 by 1/10 happened a second time (hence the 2 for period 2).

By your reasoning, in what proportion of the bacteria is left after 20 minutes, 30 minutes, etc: are we saying we are taking 1/10th of 1/10th of 10^6, or rather 10^6(1/10)^2?

symbolipoint said:
I guess we are not allowed to post "complete" solutions here as responses. I will give only this as guidance, so if opus want, you should work with this as best you can.

Try starting with a model like y=p*e^(-kx).
x is the count of ten-minute time periods and p is the initial count of the bacteria.
You can use some of the given information to find the value for k. The first step for that may look like this:
10^6*e^(-10k)=0.9*10^6

That's all I give here. Work with that and take it as far as you can.
What are you using k as? The period?

Here's what I think makes the most sense if I've understood correctly.

##0.7\left(10^6\right)=\left(10^6\left(\frac{1}{10}\right)\right)^x##

In words,

LHS: 70% of the starting population of 10^6 bacteria

RHS: The decay process of 10^6(1/10) happening x times.

That formula won't give the correct answer because it is raising the population (##10^6## bacteria) as well as the attrition factor (##1/10##) to the power ##x##. Dimensional Analysis is helpful in avoiding such errors. We want each side of the equation to give a number of bacteria. Given the ##10^6## has units 'bacteria' (ie number of bacteria), the LHS of your equation has units 'bacteria' on the left, but units
'bacteria##{}^6## ' on the RHS. Since the units do not match, the equation cannot be correct.

With attrition problems like this, it's easier to count the number of survivors, not the number that die. The number of survivors needs to be ##10^6\times 0.30##, and that can go on the LHS of the equation. Now what do we want to raise to the power of ##x## on the RHS of the equation to represent the impact of ##x## years of population reduction? Then we need to multiply that factor on the RHS by ##10^6\ \textrm{bacteria}## to express it as a number of bacteria.

opus writes the description:
You’re testing the effect of a noxious substance on bacteria. Every 10 minutes, one-tenth of the bacteria which are still alive are killed. If the population of bacteria starts with 10^6, within which period of 10 minutes will 70% of the bacteria be killed?

You could use a model based on y=p*e^(-kx) but other ways for the exponential decay model are possible.

The description you gave says, for each 10 minute period, one-tenth of the bacteria present is killed.
100%-10%=90%
or the fraction, 0.9 remains after each 10 minute period.
If x is how many ten-minute period, p the starting amount of bacteria, y the remaining amount of bacteria, then you can use a model y=p(0.9)^x.
Again see closely that I am using here, x is the count of ten-minute periods - NOT how many minutes.
Since your example gives p=10^6, you can make the more specific y=(10^6)(0.9)^x.

opus said:
NO. k is not any period. It is a constant.

Not knowing any preexisting equations, I had to solve the problem from scratch.

Solving for the first 2 ten second time periods with basic maths:
t y
0 1,000,000
10 900,000 (= 0.9 times the previous value)
20 810,000 (= 0.9 times the previous value)

I noted that the slope of y vs t changed: -10000 from t = 0 to t = 10, and -9000 from t = 10 to t = 20.
From the clues given by others, I decided to test the slope when taking the log of y

t ln(y)
0 ln(1,000,000)
10 ln(900,000)
20 ln(810,000)

This yielded equal slopes for both the periods 0 to 10 and again for 10 to 20.

From there, it was fairly easy to develop the equation that solved the problem.
It's of the form: y = mx + b, with strategically placed "ln"s of course.

It won't look like

symbolipoint said:
y=p*e^(-kx)

But with some extra manipulations, it will.

OmCheeto,
You appear to be linearizing the calculated results for each counted time period, but starting with the expected exponential relationship from the description would be far better. You can then do the linearization later. Another good starting point for linearizing would be if there were some actual two-D data points, from which one could draw a graph, and take logarithm of one of the coordinate values.

Likes OmCheeto
CORRECTION: The problem asked for a reduction of 70% so the multiplier needs to be 0.3 for 30% remaining.
You can ignore the initial number of ##10^6## because 70% 30% is 70% 30% no matter how much you start with. You are looking for a multiplier that is 70% 30% (i.e. a multiplier of 0.7 0.3).

I suggest that you look at the percentage after 1 period, after 2 periods, etc. to see the pattern. Then you can make an equation for any number, n, periods or you may just want to continue by hand till you get below 70% 30%.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
OmCheeto,
You appear to be linearizing the calculated results for each counted time period, but starting with the expected exponential relationship from the description would be far better. You can then do the linearization later. Another good starting point for linearizing would be if there were some actual two-D data points, from which one could draw a graph, and take logarithm of one of the coordinate values.
I went back and used your method from post #2. It worked! I didn't believe it would.
This is really simple when you know the answer.

given: y=p*e^(-kx)
find: k

Step 1: solve for k without any values. ie: : k = f(p, x, y)
Step 2: plug in numbers for time increments 10 and 20
Step 2.5: Discover you don't have y values for those time increments (should have listened to
Step 2.75: Determine y values for those time increments
Step 2.875: Perform step 2
Step 3: if the "k"s are equal, then the equation is probably valid for all values.
Step 3.5: plug in numbers for other time increments and discover that k is always the same. (up to the limits of your calculating machine)
Step 4: solve the original equation for x without values. ie: x = f(p, k, y)
Step 5: plug and chug!

ps. In my defense, had I not done the problem "my way", I'd have not discovered that "k" is the slope(m), and "p" is the y intercept(b).

exponent.maths.png

Attachments

• exponent.maths.png
    exponent.maths.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 450
OmCheeto,
Just be careful what variables or numbers you call how. For a model as exponential using y=pe^(-kx), the number k is not a slope.

When you linearize this equation starting with taking of logarithms of both sides, then the equation as ln(y)=-kx+ln(p), is a linear equation (probably) and slope here is -k. This general example is for exponential decay. Something similar can be done for exponential growth.

symbolipoint said:
OmCheeto,
Just be careful what variables or numbers you call how. For a model as exponential using y=pe^(-kx), the number k is not a slope.
Well, like @opus , I was confused what "k" represented.

opus said:

"k" is the slope, of something.

OmCheeto said:
Well, like @opus , I was confused what "k" represented.
"k" is the slope, of something.
k is a constant but its use as a slope depends how the exponential equation is treated. It is not a slope until logs taken of both sides of the exponential form and the algebraic rearrangement made. Only THEN k or -k becomes the slope of a line.

Likes OmCheeto
FactChecker said:
You can ignore the initial number of ##10^6## because 70% is 70% no matter how much you start with. You are looking for a multiplier that is 70% (i.e. a multiplier of 0.7).

I suggest that you look at the percentage after 1 period, after 2 periods, etc. to see the pattern. Then you can make an equation for any number, n, periods or you may just want to continue by hand till you get below 70%.

Actually, you want to get below 30% (since you want to kill off at least 70% of the initial population).

Likes FactChecker
Ray Vickson said:
Actually, you want to get below 30% (since you want to kill off at least 70% of the initial population).
Oh! I stand corrected. I will go back and correct my post.

Thanks for all the responses guys. And apologies for the late response. Been busy with my classes.

So in reading all of your posts, I want to say the appropriate equation would be:

$$0.3\left(10^6\right)=10^6\left(\frac{1}{10}\right)^x$$

With this, the LHS would represent 30% of the initial population, and the RHS would represent the initial population multiplied by the "decay" factor.
This seems correct, but I don't want to say that it is because the section of the book hasn't gone over solving for variable exponents yet. Thoughts?

Take another look at post #8.
If you have decay occurring, exponentially, and you KEEP 90% after each time increment, then your model would or could be done as y=p(0.9)^x. Now with this, if you want to decay from 100% to 30%, then you setup the values in the model like this:

0.3=(0.9)^x

Be reminded, x is how many increments of 10 minutes each. (Or did I completely misread, and you are keeping 10% after each time increment?)

If the model I listed here is what you need, then you could apply x at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etcetra and see during which increment you get your "0.3".
You can also solve the equation for x, which you will certainly be learning, probably about now...

So you're saying replace (1/10) with (0.9) because the 1/10 represents what's killed off, and the 0.9 represents what's left? So we would have ##0.3\left(10^6\right)=10^6\left(0.9\right)^x##?

Not sure why this problem is giving me so much gruff. Thanks for the help.

opus said:
So you're saying replace (1/10) with (0.9) because the 1/10 represents what's killed off, and the 0.9 represents what's left? So we would have ##0.3\left(10^6\right)=10^6\left(0.9\right)^x##?

Not sure why this problem is giving me so much gruff. Thanks for the help.
Start with what is simple. What is the decay like? Is this KEEPING 90% after each time period? Then y=p*0.9 for the FIRST period.
What happens after two periods? y=p*0.9*0.9.
What happens after three periods? y=p*0.9*0.9*0.9.
What happens after four periods? y=p*0.9*0.9*0.9*0.9, OR using exponents, x counting each time period, y=p(0.9)^4.
Variable number of time periods? y=p*(0.9)^x.

Likes FactChecker
Ok I definitely understand that reasoning. But why are we using (0.9) rather than (1/10)? Is it because when we use (0.9), we're talking about whats left, and when we use (1/10), we're talking about what was killed? And of course we want to know how many bacteria are left.

So our equation should look like ##0.3\left(10^6\right)=10^6\left(0.9\right)^x##, with x being the number of ten minute periods?

opus said:
Ok I definitely understand that reasoning. But why are we using (0.9) rather than (1/10)? Is it because when we use (0.9), we're talking about whats left, and when we use (1/10), we're talking about what was killed? And of course we want to know how many bacteria are left.

So our equation should look like ##0.3\left(10^6\right)=10^6\left(0.9\right)^x##, with x being the number of ten minute periods?
Look literally what the problem description is. LOOK and THINK as literally as possible. What is said in the description? Is the bacteria losing 10% every ten minutes? Is the bacteria losing 90% every ten minutes? This becomes a matter of Reading Comprehension.

opus said:

Here is what you wrote as the description in post #1:

Every 10 minutes, one-tenth of the bacteria which are still alive are killed. If the population of bacteria starts with 10^6, within which period of 10 minutes will 70% of the bacteria be killed?

Now, if x is the counting of the ten-minute increments, y is living bacteria after x time, p is amount of bacteria at time x=0, you should be able to read ( and maybe reread) the description and form the exponential relationship and choose the correct base for the x.

One-tenth of the bacteria is killed after each ten-minute time increment. So what fraction then still lives?

Every ten minutes, a tenth of the bacteria are KILLED.
At 10 minutes: a tenth of 10^6 bacteria are killed. This leaves 100,000 remaining.
At 20 minutes : a tenth of the 100,000 bacteria are killed. This leaves 10,000 remaining.
At 30 minutes: a tenth of the 10,000 are killed. This leaves 1000 remaining.

This is the process that is happening.

Now I am asked at which period will 70% of the bacteria be killed, or 30% of the bacteria remain?

The initial population of the bacteria is 10^6. I want to find 30% of 10^6. Mathematically, I want 0.3(10^6). This is one side of the equation, where I list what I am asked for.

For the other side, I express the process of decay that is happening, which I listed in words previously.
I know that I am given an initial population of 10^6, and every ten minutes, the current population drops by a tenth, or (1/10).
To express this process mathematically, I have the given population dropping by a tenth every ten minutes, or 10^6(1/10)(1/10)(1/10)... or 10^6(1/10)^x.

So combining both of these, I have ##0.3\left(10^6\right)=10^6\left(\frac{1}{10}\right)^x##

This is my train of thought here, looking at it as bacteria killed. The LHS represents 30% of the initial bacteria population, which means 70% was killed. The RHS represents the decay process. Could you be so kind as to highlight in bold where I make a faulty statement?

Was posting post #26 while you responded. Let me give it a read.

Likes symbolipoint
I still think it's ##0.3\left(10^6\right)=10^6\left(0.9\right)^x## The solution to this is somewhere between 11 and 12 and the answer in the back of the book say 110-120 minutes so I'm inclined to say that this is the correct formula.
The formula makes sense to me.
LHS expresses 30% of the initial population which means 70% was killed.
RHS expresses the initial population losing 10% x amount of times.

opus said:
I still think it's ##0.3\left(10^6\right)=10^6\left(0.9\right)^x## The s...
The formula makes sense to me.
LHS expresses 30% of the initial population which means 70% was killed.
RHS expresses the initial population losing 10% x amount of times.
Good! Most of that was what I was trying to help you to understand.

Note that the simplification for the factor 10^6 on both sides will allow the equation to become
0.3=1*(0.9)^x.
More simply, 0.3=0.9^x.

Likes opus
Jeez for such a basic problem that one had me in knots. Thanks for all the help!

opus said:
Every ten minutes, a tenth of the bacteria are KILLED.
At 10 minutes: a tenth of 10^6 bacteria are killed. This leaves 100,000 remaining.
No. If a tenth are killed, that is 100,000 killed and 1,000,000-100,000 = 900,000 remaining.
At 20 minutes : a tenth of the 100,000 bacteria are killed. This leaves 10,000 remaining.
A tenth of 900,000 are killed. That is 90,000 killed and 900,000 - 90,000 = 810,000 remaining.
At 30 minutes: a tenth of 810,000 are killed. That is 81,000 killed and 810,000 - 81,000 = 729,000 remaining.
So the approach of calculating the killed at each step requires that you keep subtracting the killed from the remaining living at each time step.
It's easier to directly calculate the living by multiplying the remaining living at each step by 0.9. Then you don't have to keep doing a subtraction:
10^6 * 0.9 = 900,000
900,000 * 0.9 = 810,000
810,000 * 0.9 = 729,000
After ##n*10## minutes, there are ##10^6*0.9^n## remaining.

Last edited:
Likes opus
FactChecker said:
No. If a tenth are killed, that is 100,000 killed and 1,000,000-100,000 = 900,000 remaining.A tenth of 900,000 are killed. That is 90,000 killed and 900,000 - 90,000 = 810,000 remaining.
At 30 minutes: a tenth of 810,000 are killed. That is 81,000 killed and 810,000 - 81,000 = 729,000 remaining.
So the approach of calculating the killed at each step requires that you keep subtracting the killed from the remaining living at each time step.
It's easier to directly calculate the living by multiplying the remaining living at each step by 0.9. Then you don't have to keep doing a subtraction:
10^6 * 0.9 = 900,000
900,000 * 0.9 = 810,000
810,000 * 0.9 = 729,000
From his comment of post #28 and #30, opus may finally understand.

Likes opus
FactChecker said:
No. If a tenth are killed, that is 100,000 killed and 1,000,000-100,000 = 900,000 remaining.A tenth of 900,000 are killed. That is 90,000 killed and 900,000 - 90,000 = 810,000 remaining.
10^6 * 0.9 = 900,000
900,000 * 0.9 = 810,000
810,000 * 0.9 = 729,000

I really need to work on my reading comprehension! Thanks for pointing that out to me.

opus said:
I really need to work on my reading comprehension! Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Most of Reading Comprehension for Mathematics is very, very literal.

Likes opus

1. What is a population drop word problem?

A population drop word problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the population of a certain group or area after a decrease in population has occurred. This type of problem typically involves using algebra to solve for the missing population value.

2. How do I approach solving a population drop word problem?

To solve a population drop word problem, you will need to first identify the given information, such as the initial population, the rate of decrease, and the time period. Then, you can use the formula P = P0(1-r)t, where P is the final population, P0 is the initial population, r is the rate of decrease, and t is the time period, to solve for the missing population value.

3. Can you provide an example of a population drop word problem?

Sure, here's an example: The population of a city was 500,000 in 2010. By 2020, the population had decreased by 20%. What was the population in 2020? Using the formula P = P0(1-r)t, we can plug in the given values to get P = 500,000(1-0.20)10 = 500,000(0.80)10 = 500,000(0.1074) = 53,700. Therefore, the population in 2020 was 53,700.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a population drop word problem?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to convert the percentage rate of decrease to a decimal. For example, if the rate of decrease is given as 25%, you will need to use 0.25 in the formula instead of 25. Another mistake to avoid is using the wrong units for time. Make sure to use the same units for time as the time period given in the problem.

5. Are there any other formulas that can be used to solve population drop word problems?

Yes, there is another formula that can be used for population drop word problems: P = P0e-rt, where P is the final population, P0 is the initial population, e is the base of the natural logarithm, r is the rate of decrease, and t is the time period. However, this formula is more commonly used for continuous population decrease, rather than discrete time periods.