Portable compressor power calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of theoretical power required for compression of a small portable 2 stage compressor with specific specifications. The equation used to calculate this power is provided, resulting in a theoretical power of 16 watts. However, there is a large discrepancy between the theoretical and actual power required, raising questions about the accuracy of the calculation and the efficiency of the compressor. The conversation also mentions the source of the equation and the impact of low flow rate on theoretical power requirements.
joe609
Hello

I have been trying to calculate the theoretical power required for compression of a small portable 2 stage compressor with the following spec.

Volume flow rate Q = 2x10-5 m3/s
Inlet pressure P1 = 1 Bar (105Pa)
Outlet pressure = 200 Bar
interstage pressure Px = 14 Bar
k = 1.4
N = number of stages
Motor power = 400 w

Using the equation for power during adiabatic compression

[tex]\large \large p=\frac{k}{k-1}P_{1}QN \begin{bmatrix} \left ( \frac{P_{x}}{P_{1}} \right )^{\left ( \frac{k-1}{k} \right )} & -1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\large \large p=\frac{1.4}{1.4-1}10^{5} \times 2\times 10^{-5} \times 2 \begin{bmatrix} 14^{0.3}-1 & \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I get a theoretical power of 16 watts. Why the huge discrepancy between the theoretical and the actual power required? Is my calculation correct? I am aware there are mechanical losses and inefficiency's in the pump but are they so great as to require 25 x the power?
Thanks very much for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the source of that equation? you can't even run a typical light bulb on 16 watts

The flow rate of the compressor is very low, keeping the theoretical power requirements low. Calculating the power required based on isentropic enthalpy change between the initial and final states results in about 30 watts, and a final temperature of 1363 K (assuming the input temperature is 300 K). The efficiency of such a compressor would be low because a lot of energy is lost to heat; cooling the output air from 1363 K back down to 300K is lost energy.

1. What is a portable compressor?

A portable compressor is a machine that compresses air or gas and stores it in a tank for use in various applications. It is small and lightweight, making it easy to transport from one location to another.

2. How is the power of a portable compressor calculated?

The power of a portable compressor is typically calculated by multiplying the compressor's horsepower (HP) by its efficiency. However, other factors such as the compressor's size, type, and operating pressure may also affect its power output.

3. What are the factors that affect the power of a portable compressor?

The power of a portable compressor can be affected by several factors, including the compressor's size, type (reciprocating, rotary, or centrifugal), operating pressure, temperature, and the type of gas or air being compressed.

4. How do I choose the right portable compressor for my needs?

When choosing a portable compressor, you should consider the type of work you will be using it for, the required pressure and flow rate, and the type of power source (electric or gas). It is also important to consider the size and weight of the compressor for ease of transport.

5. Can a portable compressor be used for industrial applications?

Yes, portable compressors can be used for a variety of industrial applications, such as powering pneumatic tools, inflating tires, and providing compressed air for air conditioning or refrigeration systems. However, the size and power of the compressor should be carefully considered for the specific industrial application.