Position expectation value in harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding <xftf|x(t)|xiti> in a harmonic oscillator and the difficulties in obtaining the expectation value of position due to the nature of the system and the different states involved in the calculation. It is suggested to use a propagator and Feynman path integrals to properly calculate the expectation value in the given time interval. The question is also discussed as being potentially ill-posed due to the measurement of the particle's position at two different times.
Trajito
Hello,

I want to find <xftf|x(t)|xiti> in harmonic oscillator.

I tried to insert the complete set of energy eigenstates to the right and the left side of x(t), but it yields somewhat more complicated stuff.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't the bra and ket contain the same quantum state when you're trying to find the expectation value? Also, I thought the harmonic oscillator eigenstates were stationary states (not depending on time)?
If you think about it, the expectation value of position is simply the position around which the particle is oscillating, since the system is symmetric. I.E. if the system takes x=0 as the position the particle oscillates around, then the expectation value of position is simply 0.

BruceW said:
Shouldn't the bra and ket contain the same quantum state when you're trying to find the expectation value?
The more general term is "matrix element" when the bra and ket refer to different states.
Also, I thought the harmonic oscillator eigenstates were stationary states (not depending on time)?
You can find the expectation value of an operator in any state, not just an eigenstate.
If you think about it, the expectation value of position is simply the position around which the particle is oscillating, since the system is symmetric. I.E. if the system takes x=0 as the position the particle oscillates around, then the expectation value of position is simply 0.
The expectation value depends on the state. It is only zero in some states.

Trajito said:
Hello,

I want to find <xftf|x(t)|xiti> in harmonic oscillator.

I tried to insert the complete set of energy eigenstates to the right and the left side of x(t), but it yields somewhat more complicated stuff.

Thank you

What states are the initial and final states in that matrix element?

O I get it now, his problem is a general quantum state, not an energy eigenstate of the system.
I wouldn't try to insert the complete set of energy eigenstates, instead just put in the actual wavefunction, and try to do the integration over all space.

There is no "actual" wave function. Only that we know is particle is found at the position xi at the time ti, and is found at the position xf at the time tf. The question is what is the expectation value of x at a time t which is in the interval [ti, tf].

Maybe if I write my trial solution, it can be more clear.

<x>t = <xftf|x(t)|xiti> = <xftf|n><n|x(t)|m><m|xiti> where |n> and |m> are the energy eigenstates. Then,

<x>t = [tex]\sum_{n,m}\Psi_{n}^{*}(x_{f},t_{f})\Psi_{m}(x_{i},t_{i})[/tex]<n|x(t)|m>

<n|x(t)|m> = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{-i(E_{m}-E_{n})t}[/tex] <n|a+a+|m> where we take [tex]\hbar[/tex] and [tex]\omega[/tex] to be 1.

<n|a+a+|m> = [tex]\sqrt{m}\delta_{n,m-1}+\sqrt{n}\delta_{n,m+1}[/tex]

Here, substitution and making use of Hermite polynomials yields complex valued expectation values.

Last edited:
I don't think
[tex] <n|x(t)|m> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{-i(E_{m}-E_{n})t}<n|a+a^{+}|m> [/tex]
is right, I reckon it should just equal [itex] <n|a+a^{+}|m> [/itex] (times some constant, maybe).
Then you would get a real expectation value. But it looks like the expectation value would be infinite, since it is a sum of all the energy eigenstates. I think this may be due to the difficulties in normalising a quantum state of exact position.

I'm not an expert, but maybe it would work better if you say that the state has a very small spread in position at certain points in time. (Rather than exact position, since I think that is what is making this problem difficult).

We must have a term involving t, otherwise the result wouldn't depend on t, which makes the expectation value of x the same at any time, which is impossible since at t=ti it should be equal to xi and at t=tf it should be equal to xf.

Trajito said:
There is no "actual" wave function. Only that we know is particle is found at the position xi at the time ti, and is found at the position xf at the time tf. The question is what is the expectation value of x at a time t which is in the interval [ti, tf].

Maybe if I write my trial solution, it can be more clear.

<x>t = <xftf|x(t)|xiti> = <xftf|n><n|x(t)|m><m|xiti> where |n> and |m> are the energy eigenstates. Then,

<x>t = [tex]\sum_{n,m}\Psi_{n}^{*}(x_{f},t_{f})\Psi_{m}(x_{i},t_{i})[/tex]<n|x(t)|m>

<n|x(t)|m> = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{-i(E_{m}-E_{n})t}[/tex] <n|a+a+|m> where we take [tex]\hbar[/tex] and [tex]\omega[/tex] to be 1.

<n|a+a+|m> = [tex]\sqrt{m}\delta_{n,m-1}+\sqrt{n}\delta_{n,m+1}[/tex]

Here, substitution and making use of Hermite polynomials yields complex valued expectation values.

Hmmm .. that doesn't look like an expectation value to me. Expectation values always have the same wavefunction on both sides as far as I know. To be honest, I am not sure I really understand the formulation of the question ... you are representing the particle positions at ti and tf as delta functions at xi and xf, respectively, right? Now you want an expression for the expectation value of the position during the interval between ti and tf? That seems like a problem for Feynman path integrals ... you need a properly weighted sum over all possible paths the particle could have taken to get from xi to xf. I suppose it might then be possible to calculate the expectation value of position in the given time interval.

However, I still think the question is ill-posed because you have measured the particle's position twice. I can use a propagator to describe the time-evolution of the wavefunction starting from a delta function at ti until just before the second measurement. Maybe it is sort of a trick questions and that is what is required? Because you can certainly get an expectation value that way. The fact that you know the position of the particle at tf seems kinda irrelevant to me ...

SpectraCat has got the right idea - just use the time dependent schrodinger equation to calculate the state of the system in between the times [tex]t_i[/tex].
The only other thing to decide is what exact form should the Dirac delta function take?

Trajito said:
This is not given by your attempted formula.

For the harmonic oscillator you can use Ehrenfest's theorem to get the exact dynamics of the expectation.
But you can impose a boundary state only at a _single_ time.

But maybe you wanted to do the following?
Suppose you prepared the oscillator in a particular state at time t_i. Then you can determine the state at any time by solving the time-dependent Schroedinger equation in a ladder basis and compute the probability of measuring a position at time t_f by squaring the matrix element you wrote down.

1. What is the position expectation value in a harmonic oscillator?

The position expectation value in a harmonic oscillator is the average position of a particle in the oscillator over time. It is calculated by taking the integral of the position probability distribution function over all possible positions.

2. How is the position expectation value related to the uncertainty principle?

The position expectation value is related to the uncertainty principle in that as the uncertainty in position decreases, the position expectation value becomes more precise. This means that the more accurately we know the particle's position, the less certain we are about its momentum, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of the position expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The position expectation value is significant in quantum mechanics because it gives us a way to describe the average position of a particle in a quantum system. It is also used in calculating other important quantities such as the kinetic energy and the total energy of the system.

4. How does the position expectation value change over time in a harmonic oscillator?

In a harmonic oscillator, the position expectation value oscillates back and forth around the equilibrium position as the particle moves with a certain amplitude and frequency. The amplitude and frequency of the oscillations depend on the initial conditions of the system and the properties of the oscillator.

5. Can the position expectation value ever be negative?

No, the position expectation value cannot be negative because it represents the average position of a particle, which is always a positive quantity. However, the particle can have a negative position at a specific point in time due to the wave-like nature of particles in quantum mechanics.