Is the visualization of quantum fields as harmonic oscillators accurate?

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of quantum fields and how they are described as excitations of underlying fields. The individual is interested in gaining a better understanding of this concept and has come across a paper that discusses it in more detail. They are considering writing their own Monte Carlo code to visualize the fields, but have come across some conflicting information about the nature of quantum fields as infinite sets of harmonic oscillators. The author of the paper has provided a freely available code, but the individual is concerned about potentially misleading information.
Geofleur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After learning that QFT describes particles as excitations of underlying fields, I've been trying to gain a more definite understanding of what it means; I came across this paper:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1361-6404/aaa032

Does the author say anything that is misleading?

If his approach is correct, I intend to dig into the equations and write my own Monte Carlo code for visualizing the fields. The author has a freely available code, but writing my own would help me understand this stuff better myself (I hope!).

Later edit: Uh oh, if it's misleading to think of quantum fields as harmonic oscillators filling space, as claimed here - https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...field-an-infinite-set-of-harmonic-oscillators - then we have a problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Link to article for those interested,

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Helmut_Linde/publication/321684743_A_new_way_of_visualizing_quantum_fields/links/5a351db70f7e9b10d8450657/A-new-way-of-visualizing-quantum-fields.pdf?origin=publication_detail

1. What are quantum fields?

Quantum fields are theoretical constructs used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. They are represented as continuous, fluctuating fields that permeate all of space and time. These fields are responsible for the creation and destruction of particles, and their interactions with each other.

2. How are quantum fields visualized?

Quantum fields cannot be directly observed, but their effects can be measured and visualized through experiments and mathematical models. These models use complex equations and diagrams to represent the behavior of the fields and the particles they create.

3. Why is it important to visualize quantum fields?

Visualizing quantum fields allows scientists to better understand the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It also helps in developing new theories and models to explain the fundamental forces of the universe.

4. What technologies are used to visualize quantum fields?

Scientists use a variety of technologies to visualize quantum fields, including particle accelerators, detectors, and computer simulations. These tools allow them to study the behavior of particles and their interactions in controlled environments.

5. How do quantum fields relate to the concept of quantum mechanics?

Quantum fields are a fundamental part of the theory of quantum mechanics. They provide a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and how they interact with each other. Quantum mechanics also includes principles such as superposition and entanglement, which are essential for understanding the behavior of quantum fields.