1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positive definite matrix bounded below

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]A[/tex] be a positive definite [tex]n\times n[/tex] real matrix, [tex]b\in\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], and consider the quadratic polynomial [tex]Q(x)=\frac{1}{2}\langle{x, Ax\rangle}-\langle{b, x\rangle}[/tex]. Show that [tex]Q[/tex] is bounded below.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have to come up with a constant [tex]m[/tex] so that [tex]Q(x)\ge m[/tex] for all [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}^n.[/tex] I see that [tex]Q[/tex] looks a lot like a parabola. I know how to find the lower bound of a parabola opening upward but I don't know how to generalize this to quadratic forms.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is a??

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    Sorry, its supposed to be x.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Let C be such that [itex]C^2=A[/itex] (why does C exist?) and let [itex]c=C^{-1}b[/itex] (why is C invertible?).

Calculate

[tex]\frac{1}{2}<Cx-c,Cx-c>[/tex]

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    This is what I got but I don't know what it does

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\langle{Cx-C^{-1}b, Cx-C^{-1}b\rangle} = \frac{1}{2}||Cx-C^{-1}b||\\
    =\frac{1}{2}||C^{-1}(Ax-b)||[/tex]

[tex]C[/tex] exists because A is positive definite. [tex]C^{-1}[\tex] exists because A has no zero eigenvalues.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. Sep 7, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, so that shows that

[tex]<Cx-C^{-1}b,Cx-X^{-1}b>\geq 0[/tex]

Now try to evaluate this in another way... Use the linearity of the inproduct.

8. Sep 10, 2011 #7
    This suggestion helped a lot. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook