1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positive-definite symmetric matrix satisfying a certain property

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a finite group ##G## and a homomorphism ##\rho: G \rightarrow \mathbb{GL}_n(\mathbb{R})## where ##n## is a positve integer. I need to show that there's an ##n\times n## positive definite symmetric matrix that satisfies ##\rho(g)^tA\rho(g)=A## for all ##g \in G##, where ##t## means transpose

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I've basically just written down definitions and tried to go from there. So for all non-zero vectors ##v## with ##n## real entries, ##v^tAv>0##, and I know ##A=A^t## Also, I know ##A## is positive-definite if and only if there exists an invertible ##n\times n## matrix ##P## such that ##A=P^tP##. But I'm not really sure where to go with that. I was wondering maybe I can start with ##\rho(g)^tA\rho(g)=A## and then show that ##A## is positive-definite, but I don't really see that going anywhere. If ##\rho(g)## was orthogonal, then maybe that would help, but again I'm not to sure. I'd appreciate any hints. Also, this is from a group theory course that only requires one quarter of linear algebra

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2
    What would help me is knowing the definition of ##GL_n(R)##.

4. Dec 6, 2013 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

brmath, it's the group of nxn invertible matrices over the real numbers.

Convergence, if the determinant of [itex] \rho(g) [/itex] is not 1, then
    [tex] \det \left( \rho(g^n) \right) = \det \left( \rho(g)^n \right) = \det\left( \rho(g) \right)^n [/tex]
    takes on infinitely many values as n goes to infinity which is a contradiction as G is finite. So [itex] \rho(g) [/itex] has determinant 1 for all g.

I mention this only because you said it might help if [itex] \rho(g) [/itex] was orthogonal; knowing that G is finite does give you information about what the image looks like. I don't know if that helps though.

EDIT: Actually that's a red herring I think... I would suggest focusing on A = PtP, and also remember that the sum of two positive definite matrices is still positive definite!

5. Dec 6, 2013 #4
    Office-Shredder -- if G is finite ##g^n = g## for some n, so I'm not clear where you got inf many values for the determinants.

6. Dec 6, 2013 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, which is why if [tex] \det(\rho(g))^n [/tex] takes on more than finitely many values you get a contradiction (since eventually it should become [itex] \det(\rho(g)) [/itex] again). For example if the determinant was 2 then you would get that the determinant of [itex] \rho(g^n) [/itex] is 2n which is impossible because eventually it has to be 2 again.

Although I realize in my above post I missed the obvious possibility that the determinant could be -1 as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted