1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible bound states of a one-dimensional square well I'm Lost

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    Possible bound states of a one-dimensional square well... I'm Lost!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the solutions of even and odd parity from the transcendental equations then find the number of bound states that are possible for a potential such that p(max) = 4?

2. Relevant equations
    p=ka/2 & p(max)^2 = (u(not)a[tex]^{2}[/tex]/4), u(not) = [tex]\underline{2m(not)}[/tex][tex]\overline{\hbar^{2}}[/tex]V(not)

I've found that for Even parity: p tan(p)= [tex]\sqrt{p(max)^{2}-p^{2}}[/tex]

Odd: -p cot(p)= [tex]\sqrt{p(max)^{2}-p^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So after I've found the Even and Odd solutions from a lot of algebra I'm completely lost on how to find the number of bound states. I assume that this has to do with integers of k but I'm not sure what this all means and how to derive a "bound" state from the information given. I need a lot of help... or at least some just to get started!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Possible bound states of a one-dimensional square well... I'm Lost!!!

what is p(max) = 4 ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?