Possible bound states of a one-dimensional square well I'm Lost

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
messedmonk18
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Possible bound states of a one-dimensional square well... I'm Lost!

Homework Statement


Find the solutions of even and odd parity from the transcendental equations then find the number of bound states that are possible for a potential such that p(max) = 4?


Homework Equations


p=ka/2 & p(max)^2 = (u(not)a[tex]^{2}[/tex]/4), u(not) = [tex]\underline{2m(not)}[/tex][tex]\overline{\hbar^{2}}[/tex]V(not)

I've found that for Even parity: p tan(p)= [tex]\sqrt{p(max)^{2}-p^{2}}[/tex]

Odd: -p cot(p)= [tex]\sqrt{p(max)^{2}-p^{2}}[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution



So after I've found the Even and Odd solutions from a lot of algebra I'm completely lost on how to find the number of bound states. I assume that this has to do with integers of k but I'm not sure what this all means and how to derive a "bound" state from the information given. I need a lot of help... or at least some just to get started!
 
Physics news on Phys.org