1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Possible explanation for kinetic energy

1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    why does kinetic energy depend on half the square?
    if we add up all the velocities does it not produce half a square?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2016 #2
    imagine you are pushing a cart and produce a rate of change of displacement i.e. velocity and somebody says you have given K.E. to the cart by pushing through a force F.
    now the work being done by you is F.dx if dx is displacement and F is related to change in velocity/momentum - so the energy input
    you provided is m.dv/dt . dx for a small time dt involving displacement.
    this can be written as m.dv/dx. dx/dt .dx so summing up for all such displacement = m.v.dv integrated from v=0 to v=v and thats the energy .with a factor of 1/2.m. v^2

4. Apr 8, 2016 #3
    Please explain further ...I am not familiar with the mechanics of calculus notation.

5. Apr 8, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If you accelerate something at 1m/s/s for two seconds, it goes 4x as far as if you accelerate it for one second. 22=4

6. Apr 8, 2016 #5
    Thanks... That is another way to derive it.

7. Apr 8, 2016 #6
    when one integrates expression like integral of v.dv the result is v^2/2. people not knowing the integration will sum the values from 0 to v and w

8. Apr 8, 2016 #7
    So this is the same as what I said?

9. Apr 8, 2016 #8
    what do you mean when you say w

10. Apr 8, 2016 #9
    The work done on an object to move it a distance x in the direction of the force applied is Fx. F = ma and a = (v-u)/t ; we also know that x = 1/2 (u+v) t since this is just the average velocity multiplied by time.

Work done = energy transferred = kinetic energy gained. This is m(v-u)/t * 1/2 (u+v)t = 1/2 m (v^2 - u^2). The kinetic energy is defined as the energy due to motion compared to when the object is at rest, so u = 0.

Therefore, KE = 1/2mv^2

11. Apr 8, 2016 #10
    w i referred to the total energy imparted to the cart -which is K.E.-work done by the 'push force' which is responsible for the 'motion' the work done is a check on K.E. value. i.e. 1/2. m. v^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted