Possible to find a gradient system for this?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining whether the given system of differential equations contains a limit cycle and how to apply the relevant theorem. After some discussion, it is determined that the potential function V(x,y) must contain (1/2)xex2tanh(x+y) and possibly involve integration of sech2. The final solution is given as V(x,y) = (1/2)ex2tanh(-(x+y)) which results in the desired form for -∂V/∂x and -∂V/∂y.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Does

x' = xex2tanh(x+y) + (1/2)ex2sech2(x+y)
y' = (1/2)ex2sech2(x+y)

contain a limit cycle? Possibly-relevant theorem below.

Homework Equations

Theorem. Closed orbits are impossible in gradient systems.

Definition. If x' = -ΔV for some cont. diff'ble, single-valued scalar func. V(x), then such a system is called a gradient system with potential function V.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the problem looks like a setup to apply this theorem ... but I can't figure out how. I've started at it for like 1 hr.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamin2112 said:
Definition. If x' = -ΔV for some cont. diff'ble, single-valued scalar func. V(x),
You mean -∇V, right?

Jamin2112 said:
y' = (1/2)ex2sech2(x+y)
Since you want that to look like -∂V/∂y, what does it suggest for V?

haruspex said:
Since you want that to look like -∂V/∂y, what does it suggest for V?

That V(x,y) should contain ∫-∂V/∂y dy somewhere

Jamin2112 said:
That V(x,y) should contain ∫-∂V/∂y dy somewhere

But I don't know how to integrate that. I can't even find it on an integral chart.

Jamin2112 said:
(1/2)ex2sech2(x+y)
But I don't know how to integrate that. I can't even find it on an integral chart.
Remember, you're only trying to integrate that wrt y. You should find sech2 on the chart. If not, what's the integral of sec2?

haruspex said:
Remember, you're only trying to integrate that wrt y. You should find sech2 on the chart. If not, what's the integral of sec2?

Ah, okay. So I know, for one thing, that V(x,y) somehow involves (1/2)xex2tanh(x+y). And ... I see it now. If V(x,y) = (1/2)xex2tanh(x+y), then ∂V/∂x = xex2tanh(x+y) + (1/2)xex2sech2(x+y). But, I want <-∂V/∂x, -∂V/∂y> = < xex2tanh(x+y) + (1/2)ex2sech2(x+y), (1/2)ex2sech2(x+y)>.

Last edited:
Ah, wait. I could do

V(x,y) = (1/2)ex2tanh(-(x+y)). Then

-∂V/∂x = -[xex2 * tanh(-(x+y)) + (1/2)ex2 * -sech2(-(x+y))]
= xex2 * tanh(x+y) + (1/2)ex2 * sech2(x+y)

since sech is even and tanh is odd.

That's it.

1. Is it possible to find a gradient system for this?

Yes, it is possible to find a gradient system for many different types of systems in science. A gradient system is a type of system where energy flows from a high concentration to a low concentration, and it is commonly found in chemical and biological processes.

2. What is a gradient system?

A gradient system is a type of system where energy or particles flow from a higher concentration to a lower concentration. This flow creates a gradient, or difference, in the concentration of a substance.

3. How does a gradient system work?

A gradient system works by utilizing the natural tendency for energy or particles to flow from a higher concentration to a lower concentration. This creates a gradient, which can then be harnessed to do work or drive a process.

4. What are some examples of gradient systems?

Some examples of gradient systems include diffusion, osmosis, and chemical reactions. In diffusion, molecules move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration until there is an equal distribution. In osmosis, water moves from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration across a semi-permeable membrane. In chemical reactions, reactants flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration until equilibrium is reached.

5. Why are gradient systems important in science?

Gradient systems are important in science because they are fundamental to many natural and engineered processes. They allow for the movement of energy and particles, which is essential for biological and chemical reactions to occur. Understanding and controlling gradient systems is crucial for many applications in fields such as medicine, environmental science, and engineering.