Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 814K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
turbo-1 said:Moonie, that sounds great! When winter rolls around, my wife and I start doing combo-meals in earnest. Every roast (poultry, beef, pork) becomes a possible platform for a great soup. We've been backing off on pasta in winter soups lately, instead concentrating on potatoes, Basmati rice, black beans, etc. We get really inventive with the food when cabin-fever hits.
Yep, usually that's what I do. I roast a chicken for a dinner, and since it's just me, I keep some as leftover for the next day, and the rest goes into the soup pot. This time, I just decided to make the soup (okay, I ate a leg once it was done baking because it just smelled to good not to). Roasting it first makes it much tastier than if you just boil the chicken. I'm sure the same applies to other meats/soups (I always brown beef before making soup with it, for example).
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
It's referred to as the Maillard Reaction.Moonbear said:Yep, usually that's what I do. I roast a chicken for a dinner, and since it's just me, I keep some as leftover for the next day, and the rest goes into the soup pot. This time, I just decided to make the soup (okay, I ate a leg once it was done baking because it just smelled to good not to). Roasting it first makes it much tastier than if you just boil the chicken. I'm sure the same applies to other meats/soups (I always brown beef before making soup with it, for example).
I just finished browning the other half of that pork roast I cut up last Sunday and am now making pulled pork.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
This morning, we had pan-fried hash made from our left-overs of the New England boiled dinner. Mmm.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Yeah! I always forget the name and call it carmelization instead. The net result is the same - some great complex flavors are created in the browning process that can make a wonderful stock for soup or a base for gravies. When I got my first apartment, I got a craving for some chicken soup and I figured I'd get ahead of the curve and just throw cut-up raw chicken in the pot with water, seasonings, and vegetables. Yech! It was edible, but not too tasty. After that, I browned and/or roasted every piece of meat before turning it into soup.Evo said:It's referred to as the Maillard Reaction.
I just finished browning the other half of that pork roast I cut up last Sunday and am now making pulled pork.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
If you haven't made your chili yet, here are a couple of tips. Brown the hamburg in a very hot pan first, then you can brown the onions and the chopped green peppers and chilies after. I find that the meat does not brown as nicely when you try browning it with vegetables that release juices. Next, whatever beans you have been using for your chili, substitute canned black beans for them instead. I've used about every type of bean at one time or another, and black beans have the best flavor, IMO. And don't strain out the bean juice - toss it right in the pot - you're going to want to simmer the chili to blend the flavors, anyway, and there's no sense in tossing that juice with its flavor and nutrients. Now for the heat - you shouldn't try to get all the spiciness from one source. To get a complex heat, use some crushed red pepper, some cayenne, some ground black pepper, as well as a fresh chopped jalapeno or two. Maybe a bit of hot curry powder, too. Crushed fresh garlic goes really well in chili, too. I always brown it with the onions peppers, etc. You can use garlic powder in a pinch but browned fresh garlic is much more flavorful.scorpa said:I think I am going to make a pot of chili this weekend...anyone have any tips or tricks they would like to share? The kind I make is good it just isn't very exciting.
Last edited:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
You buy canned beans??turbo-1 said:Next, whatever beans you have been using for your chili, substitute canned black beans for them instead.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Yes, We don't have enough garden-space to grow the beans that we use, so we have to resort to using organic canned black beans. We use a LOT of black beans and trying to grow them would hurt our efforts to be self-sufficient with chilies, green peppers, tomatoes, etc. For the same reason, I will not plant sweet peas, corn, white onions, or potatoes in my garden. Those vegetables are cheap, commonly available year-round, and would inhibit my ability to grow the special vegetables that I need to make pickles, salsas, hot chili relish, etc. My garden is about 50'x35' and I'd like to expand it, but right now, it fills our freezers and gives me ample produce to make salsas, relishes, pickles etc. Logistically, I can't justify a bigger garden unless I start planting stuff that is wasteful, low-yield, etc.Evo said:You buy canned beans??
Edit: I should mention that we have bags of dry black beans, but when you decide to throw something together, you don't have time to pre-soak the beans, simmer them, and save them for your meal. Canned black beans are perfect for impromptu meals.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
I've never found enough of a difference in flavor to justify the time it takes to soak dry beans, so always use canned too. Besides, if I had to rely on dried beans, I'd probably never eat any beans at all...I rarely decide a full day ahead what I'm going to cook to have enough time to soak them fully.
I made a turkey chili tonight, but it's still pretty bland. It's a good start, but not spicey enough. I had some dried peppers that I hadn't used before, so wasn't sure about their heat and didn't want to add too many. Apparently, it's not much, because I taste no heat at all (the rest of the flavors so far are nice, but need to be "warmed up" a bit). I think I'll play with my pepper sauces and see what happens to it by the time I have another bowl tomorrow.
I made a turkey chili tonight, but it's still pretty bland. It's a good start, but not spicey enough. I had some dried peppers that I hadn't used before, so wasn't sure about their heat and didn't want to add too many. Apparently, it's not much, because I taste no heat at all (the rest of the flavors so far are nice, but need to be "warmed up" a bit). I think I'll play with my pepper sauces and see what happens to it by the time I have another bowl tomorrow.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
That's the point. Creative cooking is like dancing, and it's pretty darned tough to think far enough ahead to prepare dry beans for throw-together meals. We always soak dried beans for new England-style baked beans, but that is something that we always plan ahead.Moonbear said:I've never found enough of a difference in flavor to justify the time it takes to soak dry beans, so always use canned too. Besides, if I had to rely on dried beans, I'd probably never eat any beans at all...I rarely decide a full day ahead what I'm going to cook to have enough time to soak them fully.
Moonie, try to mix up the sources of heat in a dish like this. Ground black pepper, cayenne, crushed red pepper, and any other form of heat that you can toss in, will contribute to a rich rolling heat. That's the way to come up with hot dishes that are irresistible.Moonbear said:I made a turkey chili tonight, but it's still pretty bland. It's a good start, but not spicey enough. I had some dried peppers that I hadn't used before, so wasn't sure about their heat and didn't want to add too many. Apparently, it's not much, because I taste no heat at all (the rest of the flavors so far are nice, but need to be "warmed up" a bit). I think I'll play with my pepper sauces and see what happens to it by the time I have another bowl tomorrow.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Beans don't really need to be soaked. I found this out after many years of believing that soaking was the only way to cook them. I throw dry beans straight into any stew or soup I'm making. I cook only dry beans. No canned beans come close to the flavor of home cooked and they are so easy to make.
Lentils cook in about 30-45 minutes and all I add to the water is garlic and salt. Lentils are so flavorful, it's almost a sin to cover up their flavor.
Lentils cook in about 30-45 minutes and all I add to the water is garlic and salt. Lentils are so flavorful, it's almost a sin to cover up their flavor.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Many local variations of baked beans (and other bean dishes) are cooked for a long time at low temperature. If the beans are not pre-soaked, they can be mealy and dry, in comparison to beans that have been properly prepared before cooking.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I'd agree with you there. But in a soup or stew that has plenty of liquid, I sear the meat then throw the dried beans into the pot along with the liquid right at the start. Any homemade soup, chili, or stew is going to cook for at least a couple of hours, which is plenty of time for the beans to cook and the added bonus is they become more flavorful from cooking in the seasoned broth.turbo-1 said:Many local variations of baked beans (and other bean dishes) are cooked for a long time at low temperature. If the beans are not pre-soaked, they can be mealy and dry, in comparison to beans that have been properly prepared before cooking.
Fear not the dried bean.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,662
Evo said:Beans don't really need to be soaked. I found this out after many years of believing that soaking was the only way to cook them. I throw dry beans straight into any stew or soup I'm making. I cook only dry beans. No canned beans come close to the flavor of home cooked and they are so easy to make.
Lentils cook in about 30-45 minutes and all I add to the water is garlic and salt. Lentils are so flavorful, it's almost a sin to cover up their flavor.
Gads I hate stopping by this thread. It always makes me hungry.
As a bachelor, I invariably buy canned beans for my semi-annual chili makin's. But the thought of lentils makes me drool. I remember a few years back, I actually had time to make a batch of lentil soup. That was before I bought my first crock pot; last year. (I tried making spaghetti in my crock pot about 3 months ago and ended up with tomato noodle soup. I love to experiment. But, puleez, learn from my failure... Don't try it!)
Will Lentils survive a night in my crock pot? And I've forgotten what else to add. Just garlic and salt? It seems like there should be about a pound of diced pork or a big juicy steak in there somewhere.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
they'll probably turn to mush.OmCheeto said:Will Lentils survive a night in my crock pot?
Lentils are often made with cumin, curry powder, sausage, etc...And I've forgotten what else to add. Just garlic and salt? It seems like there should be about a pound of diced pork or a big juicy steak in there somewhere.
But to savor the flavor of the lentil, I just put rinsed lentils into a a large pot, cover with about 2 inches of water, add salt and garlic. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer 30-45 minutes depending on how soft you want them. My girls love lentils this way.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,662
Evo said:they'll probably turn to mush.
Lentils are often made with cumin, curry powder, sausage, etc...
But to savor the flavor of the lentil, I just put rinsed lentils into a a large pot, cover with about 2 inches of water, add salt and garlic. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer 30-45 minutes depending on how soft you want them. My girls love lentils this way.
I don't have 30 minutes!
I'll try them in my crock tonight and let you know how it turns out.
Better yet, PM me your address, and I'll FedEx some in the morning.
Gads I love lentils(and FedEx).
If they're not good when I wake up, I'll send you a small box of chocolates as a consolation prize.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Yes, let me know what happens to them.OmCheeto said:I don't have 30 minutes!
I'll try them in my crock tonight and let you know how it turns out.
Better yet, PM me your address, and I'll FedEx some in the morning.
Gads I love lentils(and FedEx).
If they're not good when I wake up, I'll send you a small box of chocolates as a consolation prize.
Chocolates are always welcome.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
turbo-1 said:Moonie, try to mix up the sources of heat in a dish like this. Ground black pepper, cayenne, crushed red pepper, and any other form of heat that you can toss in, will contribute to a rich rolling heat. That's the way to come up with hot dishes that are irresistible.
I had added all of those, plus some chipotle peppers, but either it wasn't enough, or the peppers are getting old and losing their heat. But, I found my container of the really good hot chili peppers I had grown myself. After crushing a few of them into the chili, I verified they were still hot by the sting when I rubbed my face (after already washing my hands twice!). That should put some kick in.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,662
Evo said:Yes, let me know what happens to them.
Chocolates are always welcome.![]()
I warn you. My crock pot has two settings!
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,662
OmCheeto said:I warn you. My crock pot has two settings!
I guess it needed 3...
Lentil brick anyone?
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
That's a risk you take when you get cavalier about chilies. My home-grown habaneros are WAY hotter than the ones you can buy in the store, and the only safe way to chop them is in a food processor, then transfer them from the chopping bowl to the pot with a spatula. I tried chopping some by hand a couple of years ago, and my hands burned for days! Even when I thought the burning had gone (2-3) days later, getting my hands wet washing dishes, etc would touch it off again.Moonbear said:I had added all of those, plus some chipotle peppers, but either it wasn't enough, or the peppers are getting old and losing their heat. But, I found my container of the really good hot chili peppers I had grown myself. After crushing a few of them into the chili, I verified they were still hot by the sting when I rubbed my face (after already washing my hands twice!). That should put some kick in.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Not enough water, eh? That's sad.OmCheeto said:I guess it needed 3...
Lentil brick anyone?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
How much water did one use. I think lentils and beans need at least 2-3 times the volume of water. Most recipes seem to say just to cover the lentils, and they take 10-20 minutes. If they simmer overnight - in which case they'll be overdone - turn them way down. I think, overnight with a limited selection of settings, it would be best to cook them over 10-20 minutes, and then turn off the cooker and let them sit.OmCheeto said:I warn you. My crock pot has two settings!
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
In college, I made a lot of lentil soups, and experimented with ingredients. One of the simple ones involved frying up some bacon, then saute some chopped onions and celery and crushed garlic in the bacon grease. Transfer the vegetables to the soup pot, tear up the bacon and toss that in the pot, add dry lentils, cover well with water and simmer until the lentils are done. Seasonings are a matter of choice, because the flavor of lentils can easily be overpowered by too much of anything. Maybe just a little salt, some black pepper, and a bit of basil. The left-over lentil soup will thicken as it sits, so if you don't want to deal with bloated soft lentils the next day, learn to make just enough for your meal. Lentil soup with some of my home-made whole-wheat bread was one of my favorite meals back then. Easy to make and very cheap.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I just had some left-overs for breakfast. Basmati rice mixed with black beans and corn, seasoned with some of my hot tomato-based salsa and some home-grown herbs from our freezer. While we were chatting about rice and beans yesterday, my wife was out in the kitchen whipping that up for supper.
We grew lots of cilantro, parsley, basil, etc, last year and we have found that if you cut the herbs, rinse them off, shake off the extra water and put them in zip-lock bags in the freezer, they keep much of their fresh flavor. It's great to go out to one of the freezers open those bags and grab some of this or that herb to make a soups, casseroles, sauces, etc. Another tip - if you grow string beans, don't wash them or snap the stems. As soon as you pick them, spread them out on a tray in your freezer so they freeze as quickly as possible, then transfer them to zip-lock freezer bags. The beans won't stick together because they are dry. When you want beans, take a colander out to the freezer, grab as much as you want out of the bag and put the colander under running luke-warm water to rinse the beans and start thawing them as you snap the beans and remove the stems. These are the freshest-tasting frozen beans ever. The trick is to get them frozen as fast as possible. If I'm picking beans on a hot day, I'll make several trips to the freezers during the picking so that the beans don't spend much time in the heat after being picked.
We grew lots of cilantro, parsley, basil, etc, last year and we have found that if you cut the herbs, rinse them off, shake off the extra water and put them in zip-lock bags in the freezer, they keep much of their fresh flavor. It's great to go out to one of the freezers open those bags and grab some of this or that herb to make a soups, casseroles, sauces, etc. Another tip - if you grow string beans, don't wash them or snap the stems. As soon as you pick them, spread them out on a tray in your freezer so they freeze as quickly as possible, then transfer them to zip-lock freezer bags. The beans won't stick together because they are dry. When you want beans, take a colander out to the freezer, grab as much as you want out of the bag and put the colander under running luke-warm water to rinse the beans and start thawing them as you snap the beans and remove the stems. These are the freshest-tasting frozen beans ever. The trick is to get them frozen as fast as possible. If I'm picking beans on a hot day, I'll make several trips to the freezers during the picking so that the beans don't spend much time in the heat after being picked.
Last edited:
vincentm
- 322
- 3
Evo said:Beans don't really need to be soaked. I found this out after many years of believing that soaking was the only way to cook them. I throw dry beans straight into any stew or soup I'm making. I cook only dry beans. No canned beans come close to the flavor of home cooked and they are so easy to make.
Lentils cook in about 30-45 minutes and all I add to the water is garlic and salt. Lentils are so flavorful, it's almost a sin to cover up their flavor.
Yea, beans don't need soaking. I just toss them in water and bbring them to a boil. YUM!
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 4,411
- 552
Spelt, i had never heard of it but apparently it is a very ancient grain, it seems it is easier to make bread with it and the resultant bread is tastier.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
My wife and I have not played around with spelt. Our favorite bread is onion-rye, and my wife has perfected a so-so recipe into something that rises and bakes very well in a bread machine. The kitchen smells really good during the baking phase - wonderful bread for toast and for sandwiches.
Spelt sounds good, though. I prefer basmati rice over most white and brown rice varieties because of its rich nutty flavor when steamed. Spelt might make that kind of a difference in dishes in which we use regular white and whole-grain flours.
Spelt sounds good, though. I prefer basmati rice over most white and brown rice varieties because of its rich nutty flavor when steamed. Spelt might make that kind of a difference in dishes in which we use regular white and whole-grain flours.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I've made spelt, but not in a bread, maybe it's edible in bread. I've also made quinoa which unlike spelt (a type of wheat) is a member of the goosefoot family and was eaten by the Inca. Ack. There are reasons that we improved on ancient grains.wolram said:Spelt, i had never heard of it but apparently it is a very ancient grain, it seems it is easier to make bread with it and the resultant bread is tastier.
The spelt recipe was a nasty, unpalatable, sticky mess, but it was supposed to be something like cream of wheat. It is NOT a substitute for rice in texture. Maybe as an additive to something like bread, I guess spelt flour is ok.
Last edited: