Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 813K views
I'm trying to remember an old recipe that had bacon, pork chops, rice and beef bouillion baked in the oven. Incredible. I was always asked for the recipe, but it was so simple, I never bothered to write it down myself. :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I'm trying to remember an old recipe that had bacon, pork chops, rice and beef bouillion baked in the oven. Incredible. I was always asked for the recipe, but it was so simple, I never bothered to write it down myself. :(
Same with my grilled-shrimp marinade/basting sauce, and my pizza sauce. I just grab the ingredients and make them. the first time I tried making the shrimp marinade, my wife said "Don't you forget how you made that!" so I made a short list of ingredients - no amounts. I don't need to refer to it - it's burned into my brain.
 
turbo-1 said:
I don't need to refer to it - it's burned into my brain.
Until your brain fries, like mine. :frown:

Does 350 for an hour sound right? I do have an instant read thermometer for the pork.
 
Evo said:
Until your brain fries, like mine. :frown:

Does 350 for an hour sound right? I do have an instant read thermometer for the pork.
Sounds like it might be OK, but that depends on the depth of the casserole dish and how well it is covered. I like to give the rice an "al dente" check, but you'd want to stick a digital thermometer into the pork first. Don'e wan no tricky noses!

I make Spanish rice with the beef, tomato sauce and rice all in one shot - same with stuffed cabbage. But when I'm making a dish with pork, I steam the rice on the side, first, so I can thoroughly cook the pork without overcooking the rice.
 
turbo-1 said:
Sounds like it might be OK, but that depends on the depth of the casserole dish and how well it is covered. I like to give the rice an "al dente" check, but you'd want to stick a digital thermometer into the pork first. Don'e wan no tricky noses!

I make Spanish rice with the beef, tomato sauce and rice all in one shot - same with stuffed cabbage. But when I'm making a dish with pork, I steam the rice on the side, first, so I can thoroughly cook the pork without overcooking the rice.
I'm going to brown the chops first, so they will be partly cooked. I think some rings of onion laid over the chops would be good.

Basically you take a 9x13 inch roasting pan, lay three strips of bacon on the bottom, evenly shake 1 cup of uncooked rice over them, lay on the the pork chops (and now onions) and pour in 2 cups of beef bouillion, cover with foil and bake. Actually it was less than 2 cups of bouillion. :(
 
turbo-1 said:
For one cup of rice, I generally use 1-3/4 cup of liquid. 1-1/2 if the dish is pretty tightly lidded.
Yeah, the meat and onions will give off liquid too. I don't want mush.
 
OMG, the pork chops and rice were as good as I remembered.
 
Bacon & Eggs - of the Sea

00093gff.jpg


Went out for Teppanyaki.

Hot Saki with lobster chowder and a sushi boat, followed by
salmon, scallops, shrimp, crab legs, chicken, steak and rice.


mmmmm.
 
The Evo Child was given a set of "GreenPans", they are pushed as Earth friendly Thermalon PTFE-Free non-stick pans. From the horrible reviews I've seen, the non-stick lasts for two weeks.

She's never used them, so I guess I will put them to the test. Not something I'd buy. Black enamel exterior and a slate blue interior, light, but not exactly flimsy. Just from being stacked, the "non-stick" coating has already chipped off around the rim of the pans and the exterior bottoms are scratched. I can't imagine how bad they will look after a month of use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B15714/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Bacon & Eggs - of the Sea

00093gff.jpg


Went out for Teppanyaki.

Hot Saki with lobster chowder and a sushi boat, followed by
salmon, scallops, shrimp, crab legs, chicken, steak and rice.


mmmmm.
Teppanyaki is fun. Looks delicious!
 
DaveC426913 said:
Bacon & Eggs - of the Sea

00093gff.jpg


Went out for Teppanyaki.

Hot Saki with lobster chowder and a sushi boat, followed by
salmon, scallops, shrimp, crab legs, chicken, steak and rice.


mmmmm.
Is that arrow pointing to the green stuff inside the lobster? If so that is not roe, but tomalley. A tasty soft organ that does the functions of liver and maybe pancreas, too. In our family, there could be pitched trading-sessions over that. "I'll swap a tail for two claws!" "OK, but you have to throw in the tomalley."
 
Evo said:
Teppanyaki is fun. Looks delicious!

This lobster is RAW...YOU DONKEY!

How much money are you loosing each week?
 
turbo-1 said:
Is that arrow pointing to the green stuff inside the lobster?
No, the red egglike stuff.
I ate the liver too. (though I had my reservations about eating the toxin-removing liver organ of a bottom-feeding critter...)


Cyrus said:
This lobster is RAW...YOU DONKEY!
Raw? Raw lobsters are grey-blue. You can tell it's cooked because it's red.
 
DaveC426913 said:
No, the red egglike stuff.
I ate the liver too. (though I had my reservations about eating the toxin-removing liver organ of a bottom-feeding critter...)



Raw? Raw lobsters are grey-blue. You can tell it's cooked because it's red.
Reminds me of the Original Iron Chef "look, he just put in the crab brains". Do you know how tiny a crab brain is? They're a beautiful blue color raw, then turn bright orange when cooked.
 
DaveC426913 said:
No, the red egglike stuff.
I ate the liver too. (though I had my reservations about eating the toxin-removing liver organ of a bottom-feeding critter...)
Raw? Raw lobsters are grey-blue. You can tell it's cooked because it's red.

Why don't you stop telling me a bunch of BULLOCKS! That's it, shut it down.
 
Cyrus said:
Why don't you stop telling me a bunch of BULLOCKS! That's it, shut it down.

This is one of those off-meds days, yes? :-p
 
DaveC426913 said:
This is one of those off-meds days, yes? :-p
He's referring to a popular cooking show hosted by Chef Gordon Ramsay. :-p

And he meant BOLLOCKS!
 
Evo said:
He's referring to a popular cooking show hosted by Chef Gordon Ramsay. :-p

And he meant BOLLOCKS!

Oh yeeeah. Mr. "I'm off my Meds" Himself.
 
evo said:
he's referring to a popular cooking show hosted by chef gordon ramsay. :-p

And he meant bollocks!

It's called non stick because its ****ing NON STICKKKKKK!
 
DaveC426913 said:
Raw? Raw lobsters are grey-blue. You can tell it's cooked because it's red.

Maybe he's just embarrassed because he's nekkid.
 
Cyrus said:
It's called non stick because its ****ing NON STICKKKKKK!
Cyrus, did you see the moron that tried to fight Ramsay? I posted the link in chat just as you left yesterday.
 
I cooked supper tonight in my non-stick pans. They are antique cast-iron pans with smoothly-machined interiors - well seasoned. For my supper, I fried a couple of hot dogs. There was NO reason to use any oil as I heated and browned the dogs. You can't say that for most non-stick cookware - regardless of the hype used to sell them. Good luck with the "green" stuff, Evo. Reviews are split about 50:50 between "wonderful" and "awful" with little middle ground.

My wife had a turkey-burger. They don't hold together all that well unless your pan is REALLY non-stick. Mine are.
 
Evo said:
Cyrus, did you see the moron that tried to fight Ramsay? I posted the link in chat just as you left yesterday.

:smile: Yeah, because he 'aint nobodies *****.'
 
Cyrus said:
:smile: Yeah, because he 'aint nobodies *****.'
I wonder if any restaurant that recognized him from that show would dare hire him. :rolleyes:
 
My wife takes a garden salad to work every day for lunch, so I make sure she has nice seasoned croutons. Cube some decent bread (this is home-made beer-barrel rye) about 1/2" or so. Put the cubes in a large bowl and dust liberally with garlic powder and onion powder, then season to taste with crushed oregano, black pepper, salt, powdered chipotle, and smoked paprika. Mix thoroughly with your hands and when the bread and seasonings are well-distributed, drizzle on the extra-virgin olive oil and mix again until all the bread cubes are coated. Spread out on a cooking sheet and slide that into a 375 deg oven for about 1/2 hour, turning the croutons about half-way through. I find I get much better results using the convection feature on our oven as opposed to simple baking. Check them at 25 minutes or so and pull them out of the oven before they get too hard and crunchy. They will dry and get crispier in texture as they sit cooling on the tray. Pop the croutons into a tight-lidded plastic container when they have cooled, and stick 'em in the pantry. They are much better than anything you can buy, and they last very well. I know when I have to whip up another batch because when the container is running low, my wife leaves it out on the counter. (Hey!)

croutons.jpg
 
Very nice turbo. I'd eat more salads if I had a bag of these. :hint: I might just have to try making some sometimes.

Thanks
 
dlgoff said:
Very nice turbo. I'd eat more salads if I had a bag of these. :hint: I might just have to try making some sometimes.

Thanks
They are drop-dead easy to make, and if you can pick up some decent bread that's near its expiration date, you can save money on that end. Got a bakery that makes decent rye or whole wheat? You might be able to get a good deal on day-old or two-day-old bread. Whole-grain breads make much nicer croutons than white bread.
 
turbo-1 said:
They are drop-dead easy to make, and if you can pick up some decent bread that's near its expiration date, you can save money on that end. Got a bakery that makes decent rye or whole wheat? You might be able to get a good deal on day-old or two-day-old bread. Whole-grain breads make much nicer croutons than white bread.
You forgot about the 3 other times you posted your crouton recipe. :smile: I remembered because they did sound delicious.
 
Evo said:
You forgot about the 3 other times you posted your crouton recipe. :smile: I remembered because they did sound delicious.
Well, this post is illustrated. :devil: I like making them because it makes the house smell good. Even Duke likes them - chipotle, paprika and all.

My brother called a couple of nights ago and asked for some guidance on making smoked New England-style baked beans on the grill. I may have started a fad. It started out as a way to keep the house cooler on a hot day, and he's telling his buddies that they are the BEST beans he's ever had. He's a pretty dedicated griller/smoker, so I'm sure he'll follow through. He has a friend that caters large parties with a portable smoker/grill trailer - roast pigs, burgers, dogs, chicken, salads and baked beans. I have a sneaking suspicion that smoked baked beans might be on his menu options soon.