1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Difference across Capacitor.

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

pyweb.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Not sure which equations to use but I know that we'll have to use the answers from part a and b to answer the questions.

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was that I said that C1 and the 6 microfarads are parallel to C2 and the 2 microfarads capacitor and said that the voltage would just be halved. Really confused on what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2
    remember that voltage is not 'split up' to components in parallel, this only occurs to components in series, which is the second half of the problem

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    hmmm thanks that helps to clarify that point. So its 90 volts to C1 and the 6 microfarads capacitor and to the C2 and 2 microfarads capacitor. What equation do I need to use? I have a couple here. Looking at PE=(.5)(C)(deltaV^2) is that the right one? I think the main problem here is that I dont know what equation to use or how to look at the problem.

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4
    hmm i'm afraid not, that's the equation for working out the energy stored in the capacitor, so you'll need it later, however

V = Q / C voltage = charge / capacitance , you know the Q & C for each capacitor, so try to work out V

6. Sep 12, 2009 #5
    hmmm....Im still getting some wrong answers. So lets say for C2, I know the charge on that capacitor is 120 microCouloumbs. Im not sure what the Capacitance for it is. Would the capacitance for C2 be the sum of (1/C1)+(1/C2)=(1/Ctot)? so it would be that V=120/1.5?

Just figured out this part. Now onto the total energy stored by group?

the equation used would be PE=(.5)(C)(deltaV^2) ?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  7. Sep 12, 2009 #6
    correcto, but look

let's take C1, you worked out earlier that charge was 120 * 10^-6
    and you also know that it's capacitance is 2 * 10^-6 -it tells you on the top of the picture!

so now you have Q and C, and V = Q / C , they seem to work, try them again

8. Sep 12, 2009 #7
    Problem solved!

Thanks a million.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook