Potential difference between 2 points on dipole axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential difference between two points on the axis of a molecular dipole with a given dipole moment. The superposition principle is used to calculate the potential at each point, but there is difficulty in finding a numerical value due to incorrect formulae. The potential at a distance from the dipole center is derived and the superposition principle is confirmed to be correct. Drawing a picture is suggested to better understand the problem.
demonelite123
The dipole moment of a water molecule is 6.2 x 10-30 Cm. Find the potential difference VB - VA between 2 points on the axis of the molecular dipole, where points A and B are 8.2 nm and 5.1 nm respectively from the center. Both points are closer to the positive end.

I used the superposition principle to calculate the potential at each point. so VB = [itex] \frac{kq}{a - 5.1} - \frac{kq}{a + 5.1} [/itex] where a is the distance from each point charge to the center. Also, VA = [itex] \frac{kq}{a - 8.2} - \frac{kq}{a + 8.2} [/itex]. i know that 2aq = 6.2 x 10-30. but now i am having trouble finding a numerical value. when i subtract VB - VA i get these annoying a2 - 5.12 and a2 - 8.22 in the denominator and i can't seem to get rid of them. my answer is messy and in terms of variables while the book's answer is a number. am i missing a piece of information? any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The dipole potential is given with the assumption that the distance between the positive and negative charge is very small compared to the distance from the dipole. Try to derive the potential at distance x from the dipole centre and take the limit when "a" tends to zero. The superposition principle works, but your formulae are not correct. Check them. Drawing a picture would be very useful.

ehild

ah you're right! since i was on the dipole axis i forgot that the distance between the point where i am evaluating the potential and the center is much much larger than the distance between the actual charges. thanks!

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of electric charge from one point to the other.

2. How is potential difference related to a dipole axis?

The potential difference between two points on a dipole axis is the difference in electric potential energy between those two points due to the dipole's orientation. This is because the electric field lines generated by a dipole are perpendicular to the dipole axis and the potential difference is directly proportional to the electric field strength.

3. How is potential difference calculated in a dipole?

The potential difference between two points on a dipole axis can be calculated using the formula V = k(q/d), where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge on the dipole, and d is the distance between the two points on the dipole axis.

4. What factors affect the potential difference in a dipole?

The potential difference in a dipole is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the dipole, the distance between the two points on the dipole axis, and the orientation of the dipole. The potential difference also depends on the medium in which the dipole is placed, as different materials have different dielectric constants that affect the electric field and thus the potential difference.

5. Why is potential difference important in understanding electric fields?

Potential difference is important in understanding electric fields because it helps us quantify the strength of the electric field between two points. It also allows us to calculate the work done by the electric field on a charged particle, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. Potential difference also plays a role in many technological applications, such as in electric circuits and in generating electricity.