Potential difference between points d and c in circuit

In summary: R3 in series. This means that the current is divided between the two parallel branches.In summary, The problem involves finding the potential difference Vd - Vc between points d and c in a circuit with two batteries, E1 = 4.7 V and E2 = 1.4 V, and three resistors, R1 = R2 = 11 Ω and R3 = 6.7 Ω. The approach used is superposition, where the circuit is split into two separate circuits, each with one battery and its own calculations. The final answer may be incorrect due to rounding errors.
Omar FTM

Homework Statement

In the figure below, what is the potential difference Vd - Vc between points d and c if E1(of 1st battery) = 4.7 V, E2((of 2nd battery) = 1.4 V, R1 = R2 = 11 Ω, and R3 = 6.7 Ω, and the batteries are ideal?
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5469093809_53c7fe57f4.jpg

Homework Equations

V= IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I used superposition in order to find the current at R2 which leads to V2 = I2R2.
I separated the circuit into two circuits , each with one battery and its own calculations then I added them together , but the final answer seems wrong for an unknown reason...
https://scontent-sin6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/15302523_1489883864359796_661161770_o.jpg?oh=7c4c036aa34ea2f78ce415299ea1557d&oe=58425946

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the direction of flow of the final current? Will it cause a potential drop or a potential rise between node d and node c?

There's 3 circuits...

gneill said:
What is the direction of flow of the final current? Will it cause a potential drop or a potential rise between node d and node c?
The current flow as mentioned is upward on R2.
I tried puting -0.3 v and 0.3v , both were wrong.

SSWheels said:
There's 3 circuits...
There are only two batteries and 3 resistors.

Omar FTM said:
I tried puting -0.3 v and 0.3v , both were wrong.
Yeah, you'll probably want to conserve more digits through your intermediate calculations.

gneill said:
Yeah, you'll probably want to conserve more digits through your intermediate calculations.
But my steps are right , are not they ? I will do it using less rounding this time.

Omar FTM said:
But my steps are right , are not they ? I will do it using less rounding this time.
Your steps looked fine when I scanned through your work.

Omar FTM said:
I tried puting -0.3 v and 0.3v , both were wrong.There are only two batteries and 3 resistors.
Yes, but the two batteries are in series with each other, forming a circuit with R1 & R2

Related to Potential difference between points d and c in circuit

1. What is potential difference in a circuit?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electric current.

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the change in electric potential energy (ΔPE) by the charge (Q) that moves through the circuit. It can be expressed as V = ΔPE/Q. In a circuit, potential difference is also affected by the resistance and the current.

3. What does the potential difference between points d and c indicate?

The potential difference between points d and c indicates the difference in electric potential energy between these two points in the circuit. It can also be thought of as the amount of work required to move a unit of charge from point d to point c.

4. Is potential difference the same as electric potential?

No, potential difference and electric potential are not the same. Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in the circuit, while potential difference is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in the circuit.

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

Potential difference is responsible for the flow of electric current. In a circuit, the higher the potential difference, the greater the force pushing the charge to move through the circuit. This results in a higher amount of current flowing through the circuit.