1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference between two large plate changing with time

1. Jul 11, 2012 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

The potential difference between two large parallel plates is varied as V=at; a is a positive constant and t is time. An electron starts from rest at t=0 from the plate which is at lower potential. If the distance between the plates is L, mass of electron m and charge on electron -e then find the velocity of the electron when it reaches the other plate.

I attempted the question by equating the relation between time & velocity and time & distance.

[tex]A=\frac{Vq}{x}=\frac{eat}{mL}[/tex]
    [tex]\int_{0}^{v}dv=\int_{0}^{t}{Adt} \Rightarrow v=\frac{eat^{2}}{2mL}[/tex]
    [tex]\int_{0}^{L}dx=\int_{0}^{t}vdt+\int_{0}^{t}atdt \Rightarrow L=\frac{ea}{2mL}\int_{0}^{t}t^{2}dt+\frac{ea}{mL}\int_{0}^{t}t^{2}dt=\frac{eat^3}{2mL}[/tex]

Now dividing the cube of first equation with square of second equation, to eliminate the time, I got [tex]v=\left ( \frac{eaL}{2m} \right )^{1/3}[/tex]

Now my problem is that the answer stated is [tex]v=\left ( \frac{9eaL}{2m} \right )^{1/3}[/tex]

Any problems as for what I have done??? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi AGNuke! :smile:

I don't understand why you're integrating adt …
    why not just use x = ∫vdt ? :confused:

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

Oops... my fault. I thought that since acceleration is also changing, I better write it too, but I forgot that I already made it up for it when writing v.

Thanks tim, I got my 9 in the place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook