1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Difference in a Capacitor

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

An isolated large-plate capacitor (not connected to anything) originally has a potential difference of 1030 volts with an air gap of 2 mm. Then a plastic slab 1 mm thick, with dielectric constant 5.1, is inserted into the middle of the air gap as shown in Figure 16.70. As shown in the diagram, location 1 is at the left plate of the capacitor, location 2 is at the left edge of the plastic slab, location 3 is at the right edge of the slab, and location 4 is at the right plate of the capacitor. All of these locations are near the center of the capacitor. Calculate the following potential differences.
    V1 - V2 =
    V2 - V3 =
    V3 - V4 =
    V1 - V4 =
    2. Relevant equations

deltaV = E (deltaL)

3. The attempt at a solution

I assumed that the equation for deltaV would work for this problem, but apparently not. I am completely lost right now. I thought that V1-V2 would be (1030/5.1)(.0005) Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    anyone?

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    cowmoo32,

Let's review what we have:

[tex]\Delta V = 1030 = \Delta V_{1 \rightarrow 4}[/tex]

[tex]K = 5.1[/tex]

[tex]s_{tot} = .002m[/tex]

[tex]s_{1} = .0005m[/tex]

[tex]s_{2} = .001m[/tex]

[tex]s_{3} = .0005m[/tex]

with,

[tex]\Delta V = E \cdot s[/tex]

and

[tex]\Delta V_{tot} = \sum^n_{i=1} \Delta V_i [/tex]

One accounts for the dielectric constant of the insulator in the following fashion:

[tex]\Delta V_{insulator} = \frac{\Delta V_{space}}{K}[/tex].

To get the [tex]\Delta V_{1 \rightarrow 2}[/tex], we recognize that

[tex]s_{1} = .0005m = \frac{s_{tot}}{4}[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]\Delta V_{1 \rightarrow 2}= E \cdot s_{1} = E \cdot \frac{s_{tot}}{4} = \frac{\Delta V}{4}[/tex]

That should be enough information to give you the correct answer. Make sure to account for the dielectric constant of the insulator.

- Happy Problem Solving -

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4
    [hit submit too many times]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?