1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determing the Potential Difference Ratio

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two parallel-plate capacitors have the same plate area.
    Capacitor 1 has a plate separation half that of capacitor 2, and the quantity of charge you place on capacitor 1 is six times the quantity you place on capacitor 2.
    How do the two Potentials differences of the capacitors compare V1/V2?
    2. Relevant equations
    C=Q/V

3. The attempt at a solution
    The one way I was looking at this is that I know that as the as the distance increases the potential difference increases. I was figuring that since no actually numbers were given it would be conceptual passed. I also assumed that C would be the same though I am not sure how distance affects capacitance. V1 = 6q/C and V2= q/C. This is what I'm stuck

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Don't assume that! Look it up! (The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor depends on area and separation distance.)

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3
    which I'm given no values for. All that is given is that the distance for 1 is half that of the 2nd one. The area is never given. That's why I'm having difficulty. I just hate when given things with no values. Numbers I can deal with.

5. Mar 16, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you know about (parallel plate) capacitors in general?

How is capacitance related to area and plate separation?

What's the relationship among Q, C, and V ?

6. Mar 16, 2015 #5
    I know q is the charge that is place, and the v is the potential difference between two points. C is the availability for something to hold a charge. q is in coulombs, v is well... volts and c is Farads. I know that C*V=Q. Based of this I know that C*V_1 = 6Q and that C*V_2 = Q. I don't know how capacitance is related to area or plate seperation, as my instructor just copies formulas from the book, and the book does a horrible job going over this. But based of those I can get 6Q/C = v_1 and Q/C=v_2. Here is where I don't know what to do in terms of the separation, but the area is not given.

7. Mar 16, 2015 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As Doc Al said, C1 ≠ C2 .

The capacitance is inversely proportional to plate separation. (This consistent with what you stated about potential difference increasing with separation in the OP.) Therefore, C1 = 2C2 .

BTW: Regarding plate area; Capacitance is directly proportional to plate area.

8. Mar 16, 2015 #7

Thank you for the information and the help. I'm writing this into my notes so I can study it up. First question I asked on here, and I like how it worked. Let's me actually try and work through the problem, while getting help. Going to be useful when I get into Quantum Mechanics. I got the answer.

9. Mar 16, 2015 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I should have said it earlier,

Welcome to PF !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted