1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference in rod rotating in magnetic field

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q: A rod of length l rotates with a uniform angular velocity ω about the axis passing through its center and perpendicular to its length. A uniform magnetic field B exists with its direction normal to the plane of rotation. The e.m.f. induced between the center and any one end of the rod is:

(A)[itex]Bl^2ω[/itex] (B)[itex]{\displaystyle\frac{Bl^2ω}{2}}[/itex] (C) [itex]{\displaystyle\frac{Bl^2ω}{4}}[/itex] (D)[itex]{\displaystyle\frac{Bl^2ω}{8}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]ΔV = {\displaystyle\frac{\delta\phi}{\delta t}}[/itex], where [itex]\phi[/itex] = magnetic flux = B∙Area

[itex]ΔV = Blv[/itex], where B is magnetic field, l is length of rod, v is velocity of rod perpendicular to length and magnetic field.

[itex]ω = {\displaystyle\frac{2\pi}{T}}[/itex]

[itex]v = rω[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer provided is (D).

The given solution goes something like this:

Area swept in one rotation = [itex]\pi{\displaystyle\frac{l^2}{4}}[/itex]

[itex]ΔV = B{\displaystyle\frac{ΔA}{ΔT}} = B{\displaystyle\frac{\pi{\displaystyle\frac{l^2}{4}}}{{\displaystyle\frac{2\pi}{ω}}}} = {\displaystyle\frac{Bl^2ω}{8}}[/itex]

However, the method I tried was:
    [itex]ΔV = Bvl = B(rω)l = B{\displaystyle\frac{lω}{2}}{\displaystyle\frac{l}{2}} = {\displaystyle\frac{Bl^2ω}{4}}[/itex].

Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi kbar1! :smile:

Bvl only works if every point on the line of length l has speed v

but this line is stationary at one end, so its average speed is halved :wink:

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3
    Hello! The rod's center is stationary. The two ends are rotating. But I think I got your point. That has to be one of the quickest problem resolutions ever! Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook