1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Difference in spherical shell

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Figure 16.69
    A thin spherical shell made of plastic carries a uniformly distributed negative charge -7e-10 coulombs (indicated as -Q1 in the diagram). Two large thin disks made of glass carry uniformly distributed positive and negative charges 1.7e-05 coulombs and -1.7e-05 coulombs (indicated as +Q2 and -Q2 in Figure 16.69). The radius R1 of the plastic spherical shell is 7 mm, and the radius R2 of the glass disks is 4 meters. The distance d from the center of the spherical shell to the positive disk is 19 mm.

(a) Find the potential difference V1 - V2. Point 1 is at the center of the plastic sphere, and point 2 is just outside the sphere.
    volts
    (b) Find the potential difference V2 - V3. Point 2 is just below the sphere, and point 3 is right beside the positive glass disk.
    volts

Remember that the sign of the potential difference is important.

2. Relevant equations
    E = (Q/A)/E_o

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried calculating the field from the capacitor and multiplying it, but I really think I'm going in circles. Anyone help?

I'm so confused on how to begin... Please help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2
    I also really need help with this problem. Any help?

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    I also have question on this too can someone help us??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?