Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell

In summary, the problem states that an inverted hemispherical bowl with radius R and uniform surface charge density σ needs to find the potential difference between the north pole and the center. The correct answer is (Rσ/2ε0)(√2 - 1), but the professor requires an assessment or check for every problem. Using Poisson's Equation, it was attempted to show that the Laplacian of the answer is -σ/ε0, but the units were incorrect and solving for ∇2V = 0 would not be pleasant. The alternative solution is to solve for the E field directly and integrate from the pole to the bottom center.
Jonathan K
The problems states: An inverted hemispherical bowl of radius R carries a uniform surface charge density σ. Find the potential difference between the north pole and the center.

I was able to do the problem and got the correct answer the book gives, which is (Rσ/2ε0)(√2 - 1). My professor, however asks that we do an assessment, or check, of our answer for every problem. This is where I am having troubles. I figured I could use Poisson's Equation to show that the Laplacian of the answer is -σ/ε0, but I can't seem to get this. Any other ideas?

Jonathan K said:
The problems states: An inverted hemispherical bowl of radius R carries a uniform surface charge density σ. Find the potential difference between the north pole and the center.

I was able to do the problem and got the correct answer the book gives, which is (Rσ/2ε0)(√2 - 1). My professor, however asks that we do an assessment, or check, of our answer for every problem. This is where I am having troubles. I figured I could use Poisson's Equation to show that the Laplacian of the answer is -σ/ε0, but I can't seem to get this. Any other ideas?
Well, sice no one else has responded in a week ..for what it's worth, probably not much ...

Poisson's equation is ∇2V = -ρ/ε with ρ = volume, not surface, density, so your units would be incorrect.

Also, the entire volume inside the hemisphere has ρ = 0. But I don't see that solving for ∇2V = 0 would be pleasant, since V varies not only along the z axis (assuming the hemisphere axis is the z axis and the bottom rests symmetrically on the x-y plane), but also with x and y (or similar problem if you went cylindrical or spherical.) The only alternative that comes to mind is solving for the E field directly and integrating from the pole to the bottom center.

1. What is the Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell?

The Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell is the difference in electric potential between the inner and outer surfaces of a spherical shell that has been inverted or turned inside out. It is also known as the electric dipole moment and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is the Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell calculated?

The Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell can be calculated by dividing the total charge of the shell by the radius of the shell. It can also be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and r is the radius.

3. What factors affect the Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell?

The Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell is affected by the charge of the shell, the radius of the shell, and the distance between the inner and outer surfaces of the shell. It is also affected by the medium in which the shell is placed, as different materials have different dielectric constants that can alter the potential difference.

4. How does the Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell relate to electric fields?

The Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell is directly related to the strength of the electric field in the space surrounding the shell. The greater the potential difference, the stronger the electric field will be. Conversely, a weak potential difference will result in a weaker electric field.

5. What is the significance of the Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell in practical applications?

The Potential Difference of Inverted Hemispherical Shell is important in various practical applications, such as in capacitors and electrostatic generators. It is also used in the study of electric fields and their effects on charged objects. Understanding the potential difference of inverted hemispherical shells is crucial in designing and implementing electrical systems and devices.