1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Potential of Concentric Cylindrical Insulator and Conducting Shell"

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    h6_cylinder.png
    An infinitely long solid insulating cylinder of radius a = 2.5 cm is positioned with its symmetry axis along the z-axis as shown. The cylinder is uniformly charged with a charge density ρ = 30 μC/m3. Concentric with the cylinder is a cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius b = 15.3 cm, and outer radius c = 19.3 cm. The conducting shell has a linear charge density λ = -0.32μC/m.d=51cm.

What is V(c) - V(a), the potentital difference between the outer surface of the conductor and the outer surface of the insulator?

2. Relevant equations

ΔV=-∫E*dr.
    E=λ/2ε0

3. The attempt at a solution

ΔV=Vab+Vbc; Eab=λ/2ε0;
    Ebc I used flux EA=Qenc/ε0 → E=(Qenc)/2*∏*r*L*ε0 → Vbc=∫(b→c) (Qenc)/(2*∏*r*L*ε0 ) *dr
    This is basically how I did it, But I got the wrong answer -4397..Please help me ??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

What is the potential of the outer charge distribution? Take a differential charge element ##dq = \lambda ds## to find it.

How about the inner one now? Take a differential charge element ##dq = \rho dV##.

4. Aug 4, 2014 #3

Hmmmm Sorry I am a little bit confused. What's differential charge element?? I guess haven't learnt that in math yet. I only know integral and derivatives.. Can you please explain it in a easier way? Thank you

5. Aug 4, 2014 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Wow sorry ignore my last post. I should have read your post more carefully.

What did you compute for the electric field of the inner cylinder? Your formula looks wrong it should be:

##E = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 r}##

I was a bit thrown off by that random point (d,d) I saw in the image.

6. Aug 4, 2014 #5
    hmmm sorry I can't remember. But I think the basic idea of my solution was wrong.. because I basically just made it up... Can you please let me know how would the correct solution be?(or just the basic idea and structure of it )
    Thank you!

7. Aug 4, 2014 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Find the electric field of the infinitely long line of charge at a radial distance ##r## away.

Integrate this uniform field over the path length.

8. Aug 4, 2014 #7
    Just the infinite line? So ignore the field by the shell? but the r starts from the outer surface of the shell though?

9. Aug 4, 2014 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

No don't ignore the field of the shell.

What is the electric field due to a charged ring?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted