Potential Divider Equation (Rearranging)

In summary, the person is seeking help with rearranging a formula for potential dividers to solve for R2. They want to be able to calculate R2 if given Vout, Vin, and R1. They are advised to treat both sides of the equation equally and start by multiplying both sides by (R1+R2) and collecting terms with R2 on one side.
rindishy
Member warned about use of template.
Hi.

I'm currently learning about potential dividers and need some help with rearranging the formula.

I've managed to rearrange it to make Vin and R1 the subject, but I'm having trouble rearranging for R2.

Can someone help? My maths isn't great, so an explanation would be great. Thanks.

The formula is:

Vout = Vin x R2/(R1 + R2)

Physics news on Phys.org
What were you wanting from the rearrangement? You've omitted Vout. You can't be trying to eliminate it as a variable.

I want to be able to work out R2. So if for example I had a question where I was given Vout, Vin and R1, but not the value of resistance of R2.

i.e.

R2 =

Okay. Remember you HAVE to treat both sides of an equation the same way, whatever you do to one side, you do to the other; and you want R2 in terms of the other three variables. What's a good place to start? How about multiplying both sides by (R1+R2) and collecting terms containing R2 on one side of the equation? Take a stab at it and I'll be right here online for a while --- football games aren't on yet.

Hi there,

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with rearranging the potential divider equation. To start, let's take a look at the original equation:

Vout = Vin x R2/(R1 + R2)

As you mentioned, you have already rearranged it to make Vin and R1 the subject, which gives us:

Vin = Vout x (R1 + R2)/R2

Now, to rearrange for R2, we can start by multiplying both sides of the equation by R2:

Vin x R2 = Vout x (R1 + R2)

Next, we can expand the brackets on the right side of the equation:

Vin x R2 = Vout x R1 + Vout x R2

Now, we can subtract Vout x R2 from both sides of the equation:

Vin x R2 - Vout x R2 = Vout x R1

Factoring out R2 on the left side of the equation, we get:

R2(Vin - Vout) = Vout x R1

Finally, to isolate R2, we divide both sides of the equation by (Vin - Vout):

R2 = Vout x R1/(Vin - Vout)

And there you have it! We have successfully rearranged the potential divider equation to make R2 the subject. I hope this explanation helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work with your studies!

Best,

What is the potential divider equation and how is it used?

The potential divider equation, also known as the voltage divider equation, is used to calculate the output voltage of a circuit that is divided by two or more resistors. It is represented by the formula Vout = (R2 / R1 + R2) * Vin, where R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two resistors and Vin is the input voltage.

How do you rearrange the potential divider equation to solve for different variables?

To rearrange the potential divider equation, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable you want to solve for. For example, if you want to solve for R1, you can rearrange the equation to R1 = (R2 / (Vout / Vin)) - R2.

Can the potential divider equation be used for more than two resistors?

Yes, the potential divider equation can be used for any number of resistors in a circuit as long as they are connected in series. The equation can be expanded to include the resistance of each additional resistor by adding them to the denominator of the formula.

What is the significance of the output voltage in the potential divider equation?

The output voltage in the potential divider equation represents the voltage that is divided by the resistors and will be present at the point where the resistors meet. This voltage is important for determining the behavior and functionality of the circuit.

How does the potential divider equation relate to Ohm's law?

The potential divider equation is derived from Ohm's law, which states that the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current passing through it. In the potential divider equation, the input voltage is divided between the resistors based on their respective resistances, which follows the same principle as Ohm's law.