Question about output voltages and impedances

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to voltage and resistance measurements. The first problem involves determining the output voltage when the load resistance is equal to the source resistance. The second problem involves finding the value of the second impedance in a voltage divider circuit when the input impedance is purely resistive. Both problems require using equations and data points to solve for unknown variables.
Mohamed Abdul

Homework Statement

1. For the first measurement, a load resistance Rload = 119Ohms results in an output voltage V(OUT) = 11Volts. For the second measurement, Rload = 11Ohms results in an output voltage V(OUT) = 3.2Volts. From these two measurements, determine the output voltage V(OUT) when Rload = Rsource. You will have to first determine Rsourceand Vsource to answer this question. Express your answer in Volts. Note that the answers will not necessarily be consistent with any source we have seen but should not be unreasonable.

2. A voltage divider is used to determine the input impedance of an unknown circuit. The circuit of figure 1 in the Wikipedia entry on the voltage divider (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider) is used as the model. Assume that Vin = 12Volts, Z1 = 410Ohms, and Vout = 58% of Vin. Determine the value of Z2 if you assume the input impedance is totally resistive.

Homework Equations

Vout = Vin(R2/(R1+R2))

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem, I knew that the greater Rload, the closer Vout would be to the actual source voltage. Thus I assumed that Vsource was 11Volts since 119 Ohms >> 11 Ohms. Plugging that in the equation where R1=R2, I got:

Vout = 11(R/2R) -> Vout = 11(1/2) -> Vout = 5.5 Volts.

For the second one, I used the voltage divider formula with the impedences and got:
.65Vin = Vin(Z2/(Z1+Z2)) -> .65Z1 + .65 Z2 = Z2 -> .65Z1 = .35Z2 -> .65(352)/.35 = Z2 = 653.714 Ohms.

Overall I feel like my work was correct but I'm unsure if I used the correct methods. These are a bit different than what we do in class so I'm not too sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
itB4czv.png

This is what the circuit looks like for the first problem, by the way. As of now I have managed to figure out the second question but I am still struggling with this one.

Attachments

• itB4czv.png
    itB4czv.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 428
You have 2 unknowns (Vsource and Rsource) so you will need to write 2 equations using the two data points (119R, 11V and 11R, 3.2V) and solve them.

CWatters said:
You have 2 unknowns (Vsource and Rsource) so you will need to write 2 equations using the two data points (119R, 11V and 11R, 3.2V) and solve them.
Is that the only way to figure out the solution. Isn't there another way to find the output voltage by looking at the relationships between the resistances and voltages?

CWatters said:
I checked my answer using your method, and it was correct. Thank you very much for helping me.

Yes your method might work because 119 Ohms >> 11 Ohms. That won't always be the case.

1. What is meant by output voltage?

Output voltage refers to the electrical potential difference between the output terminals of a device, such as a power supply or amplifier. It is typically measured in volts (V) and represents the strength of the electrical signal being produced by the device.

2. How is output voltage determined?

The output voltage of a device is determined by its internal circuitry and power source. It can also be adjusted or regulated through the use of external components, such as resistors or voltage regulators.

3. What is impedance and how does it relate to output voltage?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It is typically measured in ohms (Ω) and is affected by the resistance, capacitance, and inductance of the circuit. The output voltage of a device can be affected by the impedance of the circuit it is connected to, as a higher impedance can result in a lower output voltage.

4. How can output voltages and impedances be matched?

To match output voltages and impedances, one can use a variety of techniques, such as using a transformer, adjusting the circuit components, or using an impedance matching device. This ensures that the output voltage of a device is compatible with the input impedance of the circuit it is connected to.

5. What are the consequences of using mismatched output voltages and impedances?

Using mismatched output voltages and impedances can result in signal distortion, loss of power, and potential damage to the devices connected in the circuit. It is important to match output voltages and impedances to ensure proper functioning and longevity of the devices.