Potential Energy and Distance Graph

In summary, the particle is released from rest at point A and moves along the x-axis under the influence of a single conservative force corresponding to the potential-energy function shown in Fig. 7.45. The force is directed to the right at point A, to the left at point B, and is zero at point C. The kinetic energy of the particle is maximum at x = 0.7, and the largest value of x reached by the particle is approximately 2.2. Points of stable equilibrium are located at x = 0.7 and x = 1.8, while the point of unstable equilibrium is at x = 1.45.
Exuro89

Homework Statement

A particle moves along the x-axis while acted on by a single conservative force parallel to the x. axis. The force corresponds to the potential-energy function graphed in Fig. 7.45. The particle is released from rest at point A.

[PLAIN]http://k.min.us/ijze8K.png

(a) What is the direction of the force on the particle when it is at point A?
(b) At point B?
(c) At what value of x is the kinetic energy of the particle a maximum?
(d) What is the force on the particle when it is at point C?
(e) What is the largest value of x reached by the particle during its motion?
(f) What value or values of x correspond to points of stable equilibrium?
(g) Of unstable equilibrium?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello everyone, this is the last section in the chapter I'm studying. I wanted to make sure I was understanding this correctly. So I'll list my answer/reason to each and have you note if I have something incorrect.

(a)So at point A there is a negative slope, so the force would be going to the right or positive x direction.
(b)At point B the slope is positive and so the particle is slowing down which means there is a force going to the left or negative x direction.
(c)Kinetic energy is greatest when there is no other energy in the object so in the graph the lowest point would yield the greatest kinetic energy so .7 on the x axis.
(d)At point C there is an unstable equilibrium and so there are no forces acting on it.
(e)Because the particle begins at A, conservation of energy would show that it would reach that same height, so it will be about 2.2 or so on the x axis.
(f)Stable equilibrium would be at .7 and 1.8 or so. If you were to put the particle there and move it, it would stay in that same equilibrium.
(g)Unstable equilibrium is at point C or 1.45 on the x axis. It's unstable because if you were to push it it would move away from the equilibrium, and not return, thus unstable.

Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I believe everything is correct.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that can be released and converted into other forms of energy.

How is potential energy related to distance?

Potential energy is directly proportional to distance. This means that as distance increases, potential energy also increases. This relationship is described by the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from a reference point.

What does a potential energy versus distance graph show?

A potential energy versus distance graph shows the relationship between potential energy and distance. It is a visual representation of how potential energy changes as distance changes. The shape of the graph can vary depending on the type of potential energy being represented.

How does the slope of a potential energy versus distance graph relate to force?

The slope of a potential energy versus distance graph represents the force applied to an object. The steeper the slope, the greater the force. This is because force is equal to the negative of the slope, according to the equation F = -dPE/dx.

Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the reference point for potential energy is below the object. In this case, the object has less potential energy than at the reference point, resulting in a negative value.