Energy for Linear 1D Systems - 1D potential

In summary: So, you can see that the particle oscillates between two turning points, with the energy being conserved.In summary, a particle of mass m moves along the x-axis under the influence of a force described by F_x=-ax+bx^3, with known positive constants a and b. The potential energy of the particle is given by U(x)=1/2*ax^2-1/4*bx^4, with a plot resembling a "M" shape. There are three equilibrium points, with x=0 being a stable equilibrium. The frequency of small-amplitude oscillation about this stable equilibrium is given by ω=sqrt(a/m). The particle is bound between -sqrt(a/b)<x<sqrt
thecourtholio

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves along the x–axis under the influence of force ##F_x=-ax+bx^3## , where a and b are known positive constants.

(a) Find, and sketch, the particle's potential energy, taking U(0) = 0

(b) Identify and classify all equilibrium points

(c) Find the frequencies of small–amplitude oscillation about all stable equilibrium points, if any

(d) For what range of total mechanical energies will the particle remain bound, executing periodic motion

(e) For what range of total mechanical energies will the particle ultimately escape to infinity

(f) Find the kinetic energy as a function of position in case (e)

Homework Equations

$$U(x)-U(0)=-\int_0^x \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}$$
For extrema: $$\frac{dU}{dx}=0$$
Frequency: $$\omega^2=\frac{1}{m}\left . \frac{d^2U}{dx^2}\right |_{x=equilibrium\ point}$$
$$E=T(x)+U(x)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I found $$U(x)=\frac{1}{2}ax^2-\frac{1}{4}bx^4$$ and the plot looks kind of like a big M (two peaks, one trough in the middle).

For (b), I found equilibrium points at ##x=0,\pm\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}##, with ##x=0## being a stable equilibrium.
So for (c), $$\omega^2=\frac{1}{m}\left . \frac{d^2U}{dx^2}\right |_{x=0}$$ $$ \omega=\sqrt{\frac{a}{m}}$$
But now, I'm kind of stuck on part (d). I know that the total mechanical energy is obviously ##E=T(x)+U(x)##, where ##T(x)## is the KE. I think that the particle will be bound between ##-\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}<x<\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}##. But I'm a little unsure of how to write this quantitatively. I'm also a little confused as to how to express it as a range of energies.

Physics news on Phys.org
courtneywatson13 said:
and the plot looks kind of like a big M (two peaks, one trough in the middle).
You have three equilibrium points one of which at x = 0 is stable. The particle is bound in the valley of the "M". How deep is this valley? What would happen if the energy of the particle is greater than the depth of the valley? Remember, the total energy is constant and you can draw this constant energy in the same plot as the potential energy. Doing this at several values of the total energy might show you what's going on.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
You have three equilibrium points one of which at x = 0 is stable. The particle is bound in the valley of the "M". How deep is this valley? What would happen if the energy of the particle is greater than the depth of the valley?
What would quantify "how deep" the valley is? And that was another thing that was confusing me was the constant energy. I've seen a lot of the plots of ##U(x)## vs. ##x## in the literature include a horizontal line indicating the total energy but none of them really explained why they chose where they placed it relative to the ##U(x)## curve.

kuruman said:
What would happen if the energy of the particle is greater than the depth of the valley?

Oh okay. So if the particle's energy is lower than the maximums of ##U(x)## it will oscillate indefinitely but if its energy is greater than that potential maximum then it can escape right? In this case that means that if ##E<U(\pm\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}})## it will oscillate but if ##E>U(\pm\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}})## then it can escape. Is that right?

That is right. In such plots the horizontal line is just a line at whatever value the total energy of the particle is. There is an additional issue to consider: At a given position x, the vertical distance between the constant energy line and the potential line represents the kinetic energy. At the point where the constant energy line intersects the potential energy line the kinetic energy is zero because the total energy is equal to the potential energy. These are called the "turning points" between which the particle oscillates. Different values of total energy give you different turning points.

1. What is a 1D potential in energy systems?

A 1D potential in energy systems refers to a system where the energy of a particle is dependent on only one variable, typically the position along a straight line. This type of system is commonly used in physics to model the behavior of particles in a linear motion.

2. How is energy calculated for a 1D potential system?

The energy of a particle in a 1D potential system is calculated using the potential energy function, which is a mathematical equation that describes how the particle's energy changes with its position. This potential energy function is typically given in terms of the particle's position, mass, and any external forces acting on it.

3. What are some common examples of 1D potential energy systems?

Some common examples of 1D potential energy systems include a mass-spring system, where the potential energy is dependent on the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium point, and a particle moving in a uniform gravitational field, where the potential energy is dependent on the height of the particle.

4. How does energy conservation apply to 1D potential systems?

In 1D potential systems, energy conservation states that the total energy of the particle remains constant, even as it moves along the potential energy function. This means that as the particle's kinetic energy changes, its potential energy must change in the opposite direction to maintain a constant total energy.

5. What is the significance of studying 1D potential energy systems?

Studying 1D potential energy systems is important in understanding the behavior of particles in linear motion and how they interact with external forces. These systems are also used in many real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics, making them essential for scientific research and technological advancements.