Potential Energy and Work done to lift object distance h

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
physicsballer2
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Potential Energy and Work done to lift object distance "h"

The amount of energy needed to power a 0.10 kW bulb for 12 minutes would be sufficient to lift a 1 kg object how high?

Power = work/time
PE = mgh

First I converted kw to watts which is 100 watts. Then converted minutes to seconds = 720 seconds.
I found the work done by the lightbulb:

power = work/time
100 = w/720
w = 72,000 joules

Then I plugged that into potential energy(not sure if you can do that), I solved for h using 9.8 for gravity and 1 kg for mass

PE = mgh

72,000 = (1)(9.8)h

h = 7347 meters

That number seems a bit high
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person