Potential Energy for objects on the groun

In summary, when an object falls from a given height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy during the fall. However, when the object hits the ground, other non-conservative forces act on it, transforming the kinetic energy into other forms of energy such as thermal energy and sound. Therefore, while total energy is conserved, mechanical energy (the sum of kinetic and potential energy) is not always conserved in this situation.
paprika
Since energy is conserved, when an object falls from a given height, the energy which it had as potential energy is converted into kenetic during the fall, then it is turned back into potential once the object hits the ground (which it must in order to maintain same total energy).

How does kenetic energy become potential energy for an object which has fallen to the ground if the amount of potential energy (in any given situation) is based on an object's position (usually height), but the position in the case of being on the ground is height = 0?

I think my first mistake is believing that the object must maintain constant total energy, where am I going wrong here? I'm not sure what to believe.

Physics news on Phys.org
paprika said:
Since energy is conserved, when an object falls from a given height, the energy which it had as potential energy is converted into kenetic during the fall, then it is turned back into potential once the object hits the ground (which it must in order to maintain same total energy).
It is true only when it has to maintain the same mechanical energy(K+U).

How does kenetic energy become potential energy for an object which has fallen to the ground if the amount of potential energy (in any given situation) is based on an object's position (usually height), but the position in the case of being on the ground is height = 0?
I think my first mistake is believing that the object must maintain constant total energy, where am I going wrong here? I'm not sure what to believe.
When it hits the ground, you may here a sound, and some heat might be generated. These are just other forms of energy, and thus total energy should account for all of this.

paprika said:
I think my first mistake is believing that the object must maintain constant total energy, where am I going wrong here?
You assume that mechanical energy is always conserved: Not so! When the only force acting on the falling object is gravity, mechanical energy (K + U) is conserved. But as soon as the object hits the ground, other non-conservative forces act on the object. As neutrino stated, the object's kinetic energy is transformed into various other (non-mechanical) forms of energy: thermal energy, sound, deformation.

Total energy is conserved, but mechanical energy is not.

Neither said it, but also, potential energy is energy due to height, so kinetic energy doesn't turn back into potential when the object hits the ground.

What is potential energy for objects on the ground?

Potential energy for objects on the ground is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in relation to the ground or other objects. It is the stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the object is in motion.

How is potential energy calculated for objects on the ground?

Potential energy for objects on the ground is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object from the ground. This formula applies to objects near the surface of the Earth, where the gravitational acceleration is constant.

What factors affect the potential energy of objects on the ground?

The potential energy of objects on the ground is affected by the mass of the object, the height of the object from the ground, and the strength of the gravitational field. The potential energy will increase as the mass and height of the object increase, and as the gravitational field becomes stronger.

Can potential energy be negative for objects on the ground?

Yes, potential energy can be negative for objects on the ground. This occurs when the object's height is below the reference point, such as when an object is sitting at the bottom of a hill or valley. In this case, the potential energy is considered to be negative, but it can still be converted into other forms of energy.

What are some examples of potential energy for objects on the ground?

Some examples of potential energy for objects on the ground include a book sitting on a shelf, a ball held above the ground, a roller coaster at the top of a hill, and a stretched spring on the ground. In all of these examples, the objects have potential energy due to their position in relation to the ground.