Potential energy in a falling tree?

In summary, the potential energy of a 25m tall, 700kg tree is equal to mg\rho \int A(z)z dz, where g is the acceleration of gravity, \rho is the density of the tree, and z goes from the bottom to the top of the tree. This potential energy will continuously change as the tree falls, eventually converting into kinetic energy and heat energy.
kirderf
Hi,
My first post here, hope it goes well.
I wonder if someone of you skilled persons could help me and my friend calculate the energy in a falling tree.
I´m no good at maths neither good in english but I will try to explain what I´m after.
If you cut down a tree that is 25m heigh and weighs approx 700kg. How much energy does it produce when falling to ground?
Or, if different, if you trying to hold back the energy 1m up on the stem, how much energy must you use to stop it?

Hope someine can help me this, thanks in advance.
Note, it is not homework.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Taking the last part first: it takes no energy to hold back the tree. This is because nothing is moving.
A person trying that on a substantial tree may be under considerable strain though.

The change in gravitational potential energy, when something falls close to the Earth's surface, is equal to mgh
Here g is the acceleration of gravity, about 9.8m/s/s; m is the total mass of the object; and h is the distance traveled by the object's center of mass.

It doesn't take energy to stop a tree from falling, it takes force. Those are very different things.

Probably the simplest way to find the gravitational potential energy in a tree, before it falls, relative to the ground, is to imagine it sliced at a great number of horizontal planes, each at a very small distance below the next. Let "A(z)" be the total area of the slice at height z. Its volume is "A(z)dz" where "dz" is the thickness of the slice and its mass is [itex]\rho A(z)dz[/itex] where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of tree. The potential energy of each slice is then [itex]"mgh"= mgz= \rho A(z) z dz[/itex]. Add that up for all the slices. "In the limit", as we take more and more slices, and each slice thinner and thinner, it becomes the integral [itex]mg\rho \int A(z)z dz[/itex] where z goes from the bottom to the top of the tree.

Notice that I said this is the potential energy of the tree before it falls. As the tree is falling, which was your question, the potential energy is continuously changing as the height of the various parts of the tree is continuously changing, some of the potential energy changing into kinetic energy. After the tree has fallen, its potential energy has changed, first to the kinetic energy of the tree, then to kinetic energy in shock waves in the tree and ground, and, eventually, to heat energy in the tree and the ground.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or state. It has the potential to do work or cause change.

2. How is potential energy related to a falling tree?

A falling tree has potential energy because it is elevated above the ground. As it falls, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion.

3. How is potential energy calculated in a falling tree?

The potential energy of a falling tree can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the tree, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the tree above the ground.

4. Can the potential energy in a falling tree be harnessed?

Yes, the potential energy in a falling tree can be harnessed for various purposes such as generating electricity or powering machinery.

5. What factors affect the potential energy in a falling tree?

The potential energy in a falling tree is affected by its mass, height, and the strength of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the angle of the fall can also have an impact.